-   -   clamsmtp & spampd vs spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter for SMTP time REJECT (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/10072-clamsmtp-spampd-vs-spamassasin-milter-clamav-milter-smtp-time-reject.html)

Dan MacNeil 12-01-2007 05:43 PM

clamsmtp & spampd vs spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter for SMTP time REJECT

PÁSZTOR György wrote:

Have you already tried spamassasin-milter and clamav-milter packages?
They can say reject after DATA.

What advantages do spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter have over
clamsmtp & spampd ?

I've got the not milter packages working in a testing setup. So
far the only drawback is that the Recieved-From headers just say
localhost ...

PÁSZTOR György 12-01-2007 06:08 PM

clamsmtp & spampd vs spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter for SMTP time REJECT

Hi!

"Dan MacNeil" <dan@thecsl.org> írta 2007-12-01 13:43-kor:
> PÁSZTOR György wrote:
> >Have you already tried spamassasin-milter and clamav-milter packages?
> >They can say reject after DATA.
>
> What advantages do spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter have over
> clamsmtp & spampd ?
If a mail contain virus or spam, and clamav or spamassasin can say big
enogh probability for that, than you don't have to accept the mail.

After the end of DATA stream, the MTA will say an 5xx error code, and the
virus/spam will not make extra load on your server/mail queue.

Check this out:
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

Cheers,
-- -------[ Free Software ISOs - http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download ]------- --
PÁSZTOR György e-mail: pasztor@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU) phone @work: +36 62 54 6666

Dan MacNeil 12-01-2007 06:18 PM

clamsmtp & spampd vs spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter for SMTP time REJECT

PÁSZTOR György wrote:

Hi!

and also with you.

[snip]

What advantages do spamassasin-milter & clamav-milter have over
clamsmtp & spampd ?

If a mail contain virus or spam, and clamav or spamassasin can say big
enogh probability for that, than you don't have to accept the mail.

After the end of DATA stream, the MTA will say an 5xx error code, and the
virus/spam will not make extra load on your server/mail queue.

Check this out:
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html
http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

I believe I have kludged up a /etc/postfix/master.cf to have
clamsmtp & spampd configured to reject after DATA. I've set my
MUA (thunderbird) to use test server as outgoing server and
gotted immeadiate rejection when I submit EICAR test virus or
GUBE test spam.

I've not telneted to port 21 and type in commands and pasted the
test strings to be sure I'm getting REJECT ed at right time (this
is next) , but I'm pretty sure I'm getting REJECTed at right time.

So is there a particular advantage to the milters ?