Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Nicholas Bamber

Default facing upto #674267

Matthias,
Any opinion on which short term hack we should adopt? Would you like to
ahve a look at the code which is causing us issues?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Matthias Klose

On 19.06.2012 17:54, Nicholas Bamber wrote:

> Matthias,
> Any opinion on which short term hack we should adopt? Would you like to
> ahve a look at the code which is causing us issues?

this is inline assembler, I won't look at it. So best disable it if nobody
wants to maintain it (and the code has comments like "won't work with compiler
xy at opt level z"). If you still want to look at it, find out which function
with the inline assembler causes the unexpected behaviour (modify the code to
build just half of the functions with asm statements, then bisect until you get
down to one function).

As a side note, why isn't the package built using the system openssl? It looks
like everybody except Debian/Ubuntu does do this.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Nicholas Bamber

On 20/06/12 10:46, Matthias Klose wrote:

> As a side note, why isn't the package built using the system openssl? It looks
> like everybody except Debian/Ubuntu does do this.

Copyright reasons not so much for mysql but some of the reverse
dependencies.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Clint Byrum

Excerpts from Matthias Klose's message of 2012-06-20 02:46:19 -0700:

> > Matthias,
> > Any opinion on which short term hack we should adopt? Would you like to
> > ahve a look at the code which is causing us issues?
>
> this is inline assembler, I won't look at it. So best disable it if nobody
> wants to maintain it (and the code has comments like "won't work with compiler
> xy at opt level z"). If you still want to look at it, find out which function
> with the inline assembler causes the unexpected behaviour (modify the code to
> build just half of the functions with asm statements, then bisect until you get
> down to one function).
>
> As a side note, why isn't the package built using the system openssl? It looks
> like everybody except Debian/Ubuntu does do this.

Its been explained to me like this:

* libmysqlclient is GPL, with an exception given to things that are not
GPL to link to it:

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/licensing/foss-exception/

* OpenSSL is given an exception, despite being GPL incompatible

* However, now anything that links to *libmysqlclient* must also
explicitly give OpenSSL an exception since they are effectively
transitively accepting the OpenSSL license, which is not compatible.

With almost 150 reverse depends on libmysqlclient, it would be a lot of
work to make sure all of those projects gave OpenSSL an exception.