Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Matthias Klose

Default ia64 porters still active?

A request to recheck for ia64 build failures ([1]) wasn't answered, same with a
question wether to default GCC to 4.7 on this architecture ([2]).

I am not aware of anybody within the Debian GCC Maintainers wanting to address
the IA64 specific issues. Please step up, if you want to help with IA64
maintenance.

Matthias

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2011/12/msg00003.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-ia64/2012/04/msg00000.html

Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Patrick Baggett

Matthias,
I wouldn't mind helping a bit, as I'd like to see GCC 4.7 be the default on ia64. I'm good at C/C++ programming and can definitely provide upstream patches, but I have absolutely no idea what the "debian way" of doing things is -- right now, I'm an end-user. What can I do?

Patrick

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4F9FD44C.4060306@debian.org

Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Matthias Klose

On 02.05.2012 18:07, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> Matthias,
>
> I wouldn't mind helping a bit, as I'd like to see GCC 4.7 be the default on
> ia64. I'm good at C/C++ programming and can definitely provide upstream
> patches, but I have absolutely no idea what the "debian way" of doing
> things is -- right now, I'm an end-user. What can I do?

hi Patrick,

please have a look at the ia64 specific bug reports for the gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7
sources. Then try to reproduce these using the available compiler versions (4.4,
to 4.7 and trunk/gcc-snapshot). Get the preprocessed source, try to to produce
a smaller test case, which can be forwarded upstream, try to find out if it's a
regression compared to earlier gcc releases.

However I'm not sure to default ia64 to 4.7 unless you do have the resources and
skills to do a test rebuild on ia64 and forward or fix regressions for that change.

Matthias

Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Émeric Maschino

Hi Matthias,

Like Patrick, I'm only an IA-64 end-user but already had reported
bugs, some bisected. I had contributed to 2-3 patches in the past, but
that's all. Is this what you expect from an IA-64 porter? Or maybe is
there a Debian resource explaining in details his/her duties?

Emeric

Old 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Patrick Baggett

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:

On 02.05.2012 18:07, Patrick Baggett wrote:

> Matthias,

> I wouldn't mind helping a bit, as I'd like to see GCC 4.7 be the default on

> ia64. I'm good at C/C++ programming and can definitely provide upstream

> patches, but I have absolutely no idea what the "debian way" of doing

> things is -- right now, I'm an end-user. What can I do?

hi Patrick,

please have a look at the ia64 specific bug reports for the gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7

sources. Then try to reproduce these using the available compiler versions (4.4,

to 4.7 and trunk/gcc-snapshot). *Get the preprocessed source, try to to produce

a smaller test case, which can be forwarded upstream, try to find out if it's a

regression compared to earlier gcc releases.

OK, I don't mind checking them out, but like I said before I have no idea*where the ia64-specific bug reports are ("no idea what the debian way is", see above). I read this email that you marked as [1], and I still don't know where these bug reports are. I think you're assuming a lot more knowledge about Debian infrastructure that I have. I'm an end-user. I downloaded a CD, installed the OS, and do "apt-get update/upgrade". Any other Debian-specific knowledge -- I don't have it. Give me links, I'll familiarize myself and stop wasting everyone's time. I'm a competent developer and I've submitted plenty of patches, I just don't have experience working with OS distributions.

At this point, I don't even know what the scope of the responsibilities of a "maintainer" is -- do I build all*the packages or are there build servers? Do I maintain the modified source if upstream doesn't patch quickly enough or is there a central repository/server? Do I submit binary *.deb files or does someone else? Who would be guiding my efforts (if any) to make sure they align with the "debian way"?

Patrick

Old 05-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Thibaut Paumard

wrote:

On 02.05.2012 18:07, Patrick Baggett wrote:

> Matthias,

> I wouldn't mind helping a bit, as I'd like to see GCC
4.7 be the default on

> ia64. I'm good at C/C++ programming and can definitely
provide upstream

> patches, but I have absolutely no idea what the "debian
way" of doing

> things is -- right now, I'm an end-user. What can I do?

hi Patrick,

please have a look at the ia64 specific bug reports for the
gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7

sources. Then try to reproduce these using the available
compiler versions (4.4,

to 4.7 and trunk/gcc-snapshot). *Get the preprocessed source,
try to to produce

a smaller test case, which can be forwarded upstream, try to
find out if it's a

regression compared to earlier gcc releases.

OK, I don't mind checking them out, but like I said before
I have no idea*where the ia64-specific bug reports are
("no idea what the debian way is", see above).

Hi Patrick,

If you are interested in spending some time helping Debian, there is
plenty of documentation at:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Friendly new maintainers help at:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/

That's a good place to can ask newbie questions about the "Debian
way".

I can see 3 ia64 specific bugs (from their title) in gcc-4.6 and
_none_ in gcc-4.7:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src="">

This bug seems small enough to start with (won't require you to
rebuild a huge package, except perhaps... gcc itself):

I think for a start Matthias will just be happy if you can help him
figuring out what's going on with these bugs and just send patches
(through the BTS) if you manage to tackle them.

Just my 2c, hope this helps.

Regards, Thibaut.