FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian GCC

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Matthias Klose
 
Default Bug#575448: please package gcc-4.5's gold LTO plugin!

On 25.03.2010 22:19, Török Edwin wrote:

Package: gcc-4.5
Version: 4.5-20100227-1
Severity: wishlist

GCC-4.5 has a gold linker plugin to do LTO, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/whopr/driver

It should already be built during a normal gcc-4.5 build,
the plugin should be called liblto-plugin.so.

I can't find that in the Debian experimental package, please add it to the
gcc-4.5 package (or create a new package for it).


It was built before, you can enable it in a local build. Last time I built using
gold, the build went wrong: #571169. If you retry, please report the results in
this report.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-gcc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BABF169.6070005@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/4BABF169.6070005@debian.org
 
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Török Edwin
 
Default Bug#575448: please package gcc-4.5's gold LTO plugin!

On 2010-03-26 01:27, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 25.03.2010 22:19, Török Edwin wrote:
>> Package: gcc-4.5
>> Version: 4.5-20100227-1
>> Severity: wishlist
>>
>> GCC-4.5 has a gold linker plugin to do LTO, see
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/whopr/driver
>>
>> It should already be built during a normal gcc-4.5 build,
>> the plugin should be called liblto-plugin.so.
>>
>> I can't find that in the Debian experimental package, please add it to
>> the
>> gcc-4.5 package (or create a new package for it).
>
> It was built before, you can enable it in a local build. Last time I
> built using gold, the build went wrong: #571169.

Seems to be working now,
I am using this binutils-gold package though: 2.20.1-3, not the one from
experimental.

I commented out this line in debian/rules.defs
# FIXME: stripping doesn't work with gold
#with_gold := no

I disabled the testsuite too (was taking way too long):
# if you don't want to run the gcc testsuite, uncomment the next line
with_check := disabled by hand

Also
I had some trouble with building the doc packages, so I just did
a 'touch stamps/05-build-javadoc-stamp', didn't figure out how to turn
off the build of the docs package completely.

I installed these debs:
ii cpp-4.5 4.5-20100321-1
The GNU C preprocessor
ii gcc-4.5 4.5-20100321-1
The GNU C compiler
ii gcc-4.5-base 4.5-20100321-1
The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii gcc-4.5-multilib 4.5-20100321-1
The GNU C compiler (multilib files)
ii lib32gcc1 1:4.5-20100321-1
GCC support library (32 bit Version)
ii lib32gomp1 4.5-20100321-1
GCC OpenMP (GOMP) support library (32bit)
ii libgcc1 1:4.5-20100321-1
GCC support library
ii libgomp1 4.5-20100321-1
GCC OpenMP (GOMP) support library
ii libstdc++6 4.5-20100321-1
The GNU Standard C++ Library v3

apt-cache and everything else still seems to be working.


I found the LTO plugin here (it was not installed by the package)
./debian/tmp/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.5/liblto_plugin.so

So I copied it to /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.5/liblto_plugin.so
manally, and -fuse-linker-plugin seems to be working now
(well I get an ICE from it when trying to build ClamAV, will open a bug
about that shortly).

Can you please make the package install liblto_plugin.so when with_gold
is yes?

> If you retry, please
> report the results in this report.

I'm not sure I understand what 'this' refers to here (#575448 or
#571169), so I'll just report it here.

Best regards,
--Edwin



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-gcc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BAC9D29.8030804@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BAC9D29.8030804@gmail.com
 
Old 03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Török Edwin
 
Default Bug#575448: please package gcc-4.5's gold LTO plugin!

On 2010-03-26 13:40, Török Edwin wrote:
> I found the LTO plugin here (it was not installed by the package)
> ./debian/tmp/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.5/liblto_plugin.so
>
> So I copied it to /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.5/liblto_plugin.so
> manally, and -fuse-linker-plugin seems to be working now
> (well I get an ICE from it when trying to build ClamAV, will open a bug
> about that shortly).

... and its not working, see
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=42453
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=41584

I hit that bug while building libclamav with -flto -fuse-linker-plugin
(after hacking libtool to pass the flags).

Until those bugs are not fixed, I think you can leave gcc-4.5 package as
is (without LTO plugin).

Best regards,
--Edwin



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-gcc-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4BACA727.5030008@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4BACA727.5030008@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org