Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Default unblock: dpkg/1.16.8 ( debian-cd BoF at DebConf)

retitle 681332 unblock: dpkg/1.16.8
quit

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 20:12:32 -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> Dpkg development has been happening pretty quickly lately, so there
>> are a lot of changes between the versions in wheezy and sid.
>
> At this point quick development should target experimental, not sid.

Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity. When I said lately, I meant the
month before the freeze started. Though that's neither here nor
there.

Among the changes I listed, a few seem especially important:

Translation updates: sv de fr ja ca it sk es zh_TW ru pl da eo

#678933 Error out instead of writing an invalid ar file when
member name or size is too large

#679641 dpkg: Use SELinux raw context API to avoid relying
on the mcstransd daemon during unpack [since not having that
makes upgrading policycoreutils complicated]

#643043 dpkg-source learns --no-unapply-patches.

#627333 start-stop-daemon learns --no-close.

#676232 Add support for Architecture-qualified dependencies like
Depends: libc6:amd64 (>= 2.14)

#558095 Add support for :native syntax for Build-Depends.

However, I can understand if you want to delay architecture-qualified
dependencies and build-dependencies, since as interfaces those are
subtle. On the gripping hand, no packages in the archive use those
constructs, so in a way, adding support for them is safe.

For most changes it would be easy to prepare an upload for t-p-u once
it is clear which changes are wanted, but not so for the translation
updates. It might be easier to selectively revert changes if there
are some changes you're worried about.

Compressed debdiff attached. Generated with

debdiff dpkg_1.16.4.3.dsc dpkg_1.16.8.dsc |

# Exclude translations and autotools-generated files
filterdiff -x '*.po' -x '*.pot' -x '*/man/*/*' -x '*.in' -x '*/aclocal.m4' |

# Exclude compiled message catalogs (.gmo files)
grep -v '^Binary files'

dirstat:

3.3% debian/
6.3% lib/dpkg/
3.1% man/
6.9% scripts/Dpkg/Source/Package/V3/
3.0% scripts/Dpkg/Source/Package/
5.8% scripts/Dpkg/Source/
6.3% scripts/Dpkg/
7.1% scripts/
12.2% src/

The percentages add up to 54% because 46% of the change is in
ChangeLog (1813 lines).

Hope that helps,
Jonathan