Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Damyan Ivanov

Default Please give back firebird2.5 on s390x

wb gb firebird2.5_2.5.2~svn+54698.ds4-1 . s390x

The regular build[1] failed with a very strange error in the package
creation phase:

dpkg-shlibdeps: error: dpkg-query --control-path libicu48:s390x symbols died from signal 11

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=firebird2.5&arch=s390x&ver=2.5.2%7Es vn%2B54698.ds4-1&stamp=1341081509

Searching other build logs or dpkg bugs showed nothing, so my
assumption is that this is a transient problem that can be fixed by
retrying the build.

Should the rebuild fail again at the same place, I'll file a bug to
dpkg. Cc-ing dpkg-maintainers in case they want to investigate
further.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Philipp Kern

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 01:37:05PM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> wb gb firebird2.5_2.5.2~svn+54698.ds4-1 . s390x
>
> The regular build[1] failed with a very strange error in the package
> creation phase:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: error: dpkg-query --control-path libicu48:s390x symbols died from signal 11
>
> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=firebird2.5&arch=s390x&ver=2.5.2%7Es vn%2B54698.ds4-1&stamp=1341081509
>
> Searching other build logs or dpkg bugs showed nothing, so my
> assumption is that this is a transient problem that can be fixed by
> retrying the build.
>
> Should the rebuild fail again at the same place, I'll file a bug to
> dpkg. Cc-ing dpkg-maintainers in case they want to investigate
> further.

It's more likely a port issue than an issue in dpkg, I think. Given back.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Guillem Jover

On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 13:37:05 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> wb gb firebird2.5_2.5.2~svn+54698.ds4-1 . s390x
>
> The regular build[1] failed with a very strange error in the package
> creation phase:
>
> dpkg-shlibdeps: error: dpkg-query --control-path libicu48:s390x symbols died from signal 11
>
> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=firebird2.5&arch=s390x&ver=2.5.2%7Es vn%2B54698.ds4-1&stamp=1341081509
>
> Searching other build logs or dpkg bugs showed nothing, so my
> assumption is that this is a transient problem that can be fixed by
> retrying the build.
>
> Should the rebuild fail again at the same place, I'll file a bug to
> dpkg. Cc-ing dpkg-maintainers in case they want to investigate
> further.

ISTR other segfaults in other dpkg code paths on s390x (maybe I'm just
misremembering), if that's the case that might hint at a deeper
problem in the architecture, hardware, kernel, glibc, etc?

regards,
guillem

Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Philipp Kern

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 03:35:01PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> ISTR other segfaults in other dpkg code paths on s390x (maybe I'm just
> misremembering), if that's the case that might hint at a deeper
> problem in the architecture, hardware, kernel, glibc, etc?

You'd be surprised, however, about how many failures are indeed due to people
not assuming the right things when dealing with 64bit big endian.

However, why I mentioned it: As least on s390 we have unexplained,
non-reproducable segfaults in malloc sometimes, retrying always fixes the
problem. I'm not certain if this affects s390x too.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 07-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Guillem Jover

On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 16:20:24 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 03:35:01PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > ISTR other segfaults in other dpkg code paths on s390x (maybe I'm just
> > misremembering), if that's the case that might hint at a deeper
> > problem in the architecture, hardware, kernel, glibc, etc?
>
> You'd be surprised, however, about how many failures are indeed due to people
> not assuming the right things when dealing with 64bit big endian.

Oh I'd not be surprised in general, although I would be a bit for dpkg
at least, given that there's supposedly ppc64 and sparc64 around
somewhere.

> However, why I mentioned it: As least on s390 we have unexplained,
> non-reproducable segfaults in malloc sometimes, retrying always fixes the
> problem. I'm not certain if this affects s390x too.

Maybe it was on s390 logs I saw those segfaults. In any case it might
be a good idea to enable core dumps on the buildds there, if they are
not already enabled?

regards,
guillem