FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian dpkg

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Helge Kreutzmann
 
Default Tracking strange sgml failures (related to #675613 in dpkg?)

Hello,
short:
goobox fails during man page generation (see below) with very similar
issues like #675613 fixed in dpkg 1.16.4 on some architectures, on
some not. I'm unable to reproduce, but every time it fails,
dpkg is < 1.16.4, every time it suceedes, dpkg >= 1.16.4.

Could somebody confirm that I'm on the right track?

If so, is there any other way then using a pre-depency on dpkg >= 1.16.4
to ensure that buildds are using a recent enough dpkg?


Long story:
Goobox builds man pages using po4a/docbook-to-man/nsgmls, which has
worked for "ages" (several years). The build log looks like:

...
docbook-to-man debian/manpage/goobox.en.sgml > debian/goobox/usr/share/man/man1/goobox.1
po4a -v -f debian/po4a.cfg
Updating debian/manpage//goobox.pot:
po4a::sgml: msgid skipped to help translators (contains only tags)
...


Now, it fails on some architectures, on some not, on some
architectures it first did not fail, then it does, always with the
following errors:

docbook-to-man debian/manpage/goobox.en.sgml > debian/goobox/usr/share/man/man1/goobox.1
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:53:65:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Math Symbols: Arrow Relations//EN"
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:54:8:E: reference to entity "ISOamsa" for which no system identifier could be generated
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:52:0: entity was defined here
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:60:66:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Math Symbols: Binary Operators//EN"
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:61:8:E: reference to entity "ISOamsb" for which no system identifier could be generated
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:59:0: entity was defined here
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:67:60:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Added Math Symbols: Delimiters//EN"
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:68:8:E: reference to entity "ISOamsc" for which no system identifier could be generated
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:66:0: entity was defined here
...
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:180:8:E: reference to entity "ISOtech" for which no system identifier could be generated
/usr/bin/nsgmls:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/4.1/dbcent.mod:178:0: entity was defined here
po4a -v -f debian/po4a.cfg
Updating debian/manpage//goobox.pot:
nsgmls:<OSFD>0:1:59:W: cannot generate system identifier for public text "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.1//EN"
nsgmls:<OSFD>0:18:0:E: reference to entity "REFENTRY" for which no system identifier could be generated
nsgmls:<OSFD>0:1:0: entity was defined here
nsgmls:<OSFD>0:18:0:E: DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name
po4a::sgml: Error while running nsgmls -p. Please check if nsgmls and the DTD are installed.

During debugging/researching I found #675613 and friends, and indeed, looking
at the buildd logs I see that failing only occurs if dpkg < 1.16.4
(which looks too systematic to be a coincidence):

amd64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
amd64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
armel 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
armel 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.7
armhf 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
armhf 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.6
ia64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
ia64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
mips 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
mips 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
mipsel 3.0.1-2 failed dpkg 1.16.3
dpkg 1.16.3
powerpc 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
s390 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
s390x 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3

Thanks for your help / pointers

Helge

P.S. Since there are other packages using docbook-to-man, maybe a more
general action is required to ensure autobuilders are using a
recent enought dpkg?
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de
Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred
Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default Tracking strange sgml failures (related to #675613 in dpkg?)

Hi,

Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

> short:
> goobox fails during man page generation (see below) with very similar
> issues like #675613 fixed in dpkg 1.16.4 on some architectures, on
> some not. I'm unable to reproduce, but every time it fails,
> dpkg is < 1.16.4, every time it suceedes, dpkg >= 1.16.4.
>
> Could somebody confirm that I'm on the right track?
>
> If so, is there any other way then using a pre-depency on dpkg >= 1.16.4
> to ensure that buildds are using a recent enough dpkg?

Do you mean build-dependency?

[...]
> amd64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> amd64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> armel 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> armel 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.7
> armhf 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> armhf 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.6
> ia64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> ia64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> mips 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
> mips 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
> mipsel 3.0.1-2 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> dpkg 1.16.3
> powerpc 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> s390 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> s390x 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3

Probably it would be best for the buildds to update their copy of
dpkg. Cc-ing the admins.

Thanks and hope that helps,
Jonathan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120707170922.GA30924@burratino
 
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Helge Kreutzmann
 
Default Tracking strange sgml failures (related to #675613 in dpkg?)

Hello Jonathan,
On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 12:09:22PM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
>
> > short:
> > goobox fails during man page generation (see below) with very similar
> > issues like #675613 fixed in dpkg 1.16.4 on some architectures, on
> > some not. I'm unable to reproduce, but every time it fails,
> > dpkg is < 1.16.4, every time it suceedes, dpkg >= 1.16.4.
> >
> > Could somebody confirm that I'm on the right track?
> >
> > If so, is there any other way then using a pre-depency on dpkg >= 1.16.4
> > to ensure that buildds are using a recent enough dpkg?
>
> Do you mean build-dependency?

Yes, of course build-dependency.

> [...]
> > amd64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > amd64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> > armel 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > armel 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.7
> > armhf 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > armhf 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.6
> > ia64 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > ia64 3.0.1-3 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> > mips 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
> > mips 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.2
> > mipsel 3.0.1-2 failed dpkg 1.16.3
> > dpkg 1.16.3
> > powerpc 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > s390 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > s390x 3.0.1-2 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
> > 3.0.1-3 suceeded dpkg 1.16.4.3
>
> Probably it would be best for the buildds to update their copy of
> dpkg. Cc-ing the admins.

Thanks.

> Thanks and hope that helps,

I'll prepare a new upload then (the current version has an ugly
workaround which is not accepted by the release-admins, cf. #680622).

Greetings

Helge

--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de
Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred
Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org