Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Thorsten Glaser

Default FTBFS, Please disable -pie

Stephen R Marenka dixit:

>openssh has failed to build from source on m68k since version 1:4.6p1-1
>because -pie doesn't work right. Please disable it on m68k. It looks
>like support for this already exists in debian/rules for hppa.

I see this has made it into dpkg-buildflags:

122 # Mask features that are not available on certain architectures.
123 if ($os !~ /^(linux|knetbsd|hurd)$/ or
124 $cpu =~ /^(hppa|m68k|mips|mipsel|avr32)$/) {
125 # Disabled on non-linux/knetbsd/hurd (see #430455 and #586215).
126 # Disabled on hppa, m68k (#451192), mips/mipsel (#532821), avr32
127 # (#574716).
128 $use_feature{"pie"} = 0;
129 }

Stephen, please define “-pie doesn't work right”, so we can try
to figure out whether this is still the case.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
Support mksh as /bin/sh and RoQA dash NOW!
‣ src:bash (244 (263) bugs: 0 RC, 172 (186) I&N, 72 (77) M&W, 0 F&P)

Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 19:00:42 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Stephen R Marenka dixit:
> >openssh has failed to build from source on m68k since version 1:4.6p1-1
> >because -pie doesn't work right. Please disable it on m68k. It looks
> >like support for this already exists in debian/rules for hppa.
>
> I see this has made it into dpkg-buildflags:
>
> 122 # Mask features that are not available on certain architectures.
> 123 if ($os !~ /^(linux|knetbsd|hurd)$/ or
> 124 $cpu =~ /^(hppa|m68k|mips|mipsel|avr32)$/) {
> 125 # Disabled on non-linux/knetbsd/hurd (see #430455 and #586215).
> 126 # Disabled on hppa, m68k (#451192), mips/mipsel (#532821), avr32
> 127 # (#574716).
> 128 $use_feature{"pie"} = 0;
> 129 }
>
> Stephen, please define “-pie doesn't work right”, so we can try
> to figure out whether this is still the case.

Yes, I'm happy to unmask that feature for m68k as long as the porters
vouch for it working correctly now.

thanks,
guillem

Old 04-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Thorsten Glaser

Guillem Jover dixit:

>> Stephen, please define “-pie doesn't work right”, so we can try
>> to figure out whether this is still the case.
>
>Yes, I'm happy to unmask that feature for m68k as long as the porters
>vouch for it working correctly now.

Well, that’s what I was trying to find out with this mail ;-)

If there is a comprehensive testsuite for PIE, I can try it.
(So can you… https://wiki.debian.org/Aranym/Quick with a VM)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
a peeing section in a swimming pool.”

Old 04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Andreas Schwab

Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> writes:

> Stephen, please define “-pie doesn't work right”, so we can try
> to figure out whether this is still the case.

Perhaps this:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.binutils/57209>. If it's
something different I need a test case.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756 01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Thorsten Glaser

Andreas Schwab dixit:

>Perhaps this:
><http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.binutils/57209>. If it's
>something different I need a test case.

Rebuilt and uploaded (to d-p.o unreleased) binutils with it.
Funnily enough, even without it, openssh with PIE builds for
me (including tests), so the problem Stephen had might even
have been solved in the meantime.

Guillem, unless something else pops up, I *think* you can
enable PIE on m68k (e.g. with the diff from this package
http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/pool-m68k/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.16.3+m68k.3.dsc
which also includes the current state of the MiNT patch).
Note that I’m not an m68k porter, nor can I promise it works,
just note it seems to work for me, for now.

Thanks, you two!
//mirabilos
existence. -- Coywolf Qi Hunt

Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 17:21:26 +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Andreas Schwab dixit:
> >Perhaps this:
> ><http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.binutils/57209>. If it's
> >something different I need a test case.
>
> Rebuilt and uploaded (to d-p.o unreleased) binutils with it.
> Funnily enough, even without it, openssh with PIE builds for
> me (including tests), so the problem Stephen had might even
> have been solved in the meantime.
>
> Guillem, unless something else pops up, I *think* you can
> enable PIE on m68k (e.g. with the diff from this package
> http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/pool-m68k/main/d/dpkg/dpkg_1.16.3+m68k.3.dsc
> which also includes the current state of the MiNT patch).
> Note that I’m not an m68k porter, nor can I promise it works,
> just note it seems to work for me, for now.

Thanks! These are now in git master. If there's any problem with PIE
on m68k we can always backpedal.

regards,
guillem

Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Thorsten Glaser

Guillem Jover dixit:

>Thanks! These are now in git master. If there's any problem with PIE
>on m68k we can always backpedal.

Right. Thanks!

bye,
//mirabilos
--
<dileks> ch: good, you corrected yourself. ppl tend to tweet such news
immediately, sth. like "grml devs seem to be buyable" <ch> dileks: we

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
"Stephen R. Marenka"

On Sun, April 22, 2012 2:00 pm, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Stephen R Marenka dixit:
>
>>openssh has failed to build from source on m68k since version 1:4.6p1-1
>>because -pie doesn't work right. Please disable it on m68k. It looks
>>like support for this already exists in debian/rules for hppa.
>
> Stephen, please define "-pie doesn't work right", so we can try
> to figure out whether this is still the case.

I don't have any further notes. All my gcc working notes are at
http://wiki.debian.org/M68k/Gcc and those look pretty dated.

As I recall ssh ftbfs and dropping the pie flag allowed it to build. As I
recall this was not the only package with that problem.

--
Stephen R. Marenka If life's not fun, you're not doing it right!
<stephen@marenka.net>

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Thorsten Glaser

Stephen R. Marenka dixit:

>I don't have any further notes. All my gcc working notes are at
>http://wiki.debian.org/M68k/Gcc and those look pretty dated.

Yeah, the last two years have seen a _lot_ of change.

>As I recall ssh ftbfs and dropping the pie flag allowed it to build. As I
>recall this was not the only package with that problem.

OK. OpenSSH did no longer FTBFS with PIE, even before Andreas’
patch, so it may even have been fixed in the meantime, and I’ll
keep an eye out for others.

Thanks for the message!

bye,
//mirabilos