Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

Default Sources.gz and missing dependencies, status

Hi,

I'm not a DD or DM but worked out a Package Manager helper for debian.

for squeeze (sorry) I'm seeing 214 depends called out in Sources not found anywhere in Packages or
Sources (not as provides , not anywhere , not even by grep'ing anything!)

PROBLEM: also, these are "near misses / synonyms" of real packages. ie, "libreadline-dev" is asked
for by Sources but not a Package: or Provides: or Binary: anywhere. Am I missing some list of
synonyms someone has some place ? They aren't just 5th toe.

Why? See the project (below) uses Packages (and/or) Sources to show either total or just installed
dependency order (and can optionally act like apt-get , incl. optional resolving).

Reference:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dep-trace

"show-all" and "depend-order-install-source" are in:

dep-trace-examples-update-3.tar.gz

I'm "hoping" it can install given a list of source targets , do in depends order , thus avoiding all
autoconfig fails. I realize that's maybe "not immediately attainable from current standing".

for now it has a work-around for skipping these near misses - but of course can't download them

Thank you all.

Have Fun all !

-- John Hendrickson

Old 04-25-2012, 04:26 PM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

You asked why i'd believe the dpkg team would understand a sentence containing the word depends
means. I said I assumed they would.

Now you write me saying why should I assume they don't understand deepends.

Your "line of questions" crosses itself and not for the first time.

I don't owe an answer.

-- John

Jonathan Nieder wrote:

John D. Hendrickson wrote:

Build-Depends. I wrote the dpkg team so I can expect they would
know what depends are.

Do you think that the dpkg team doesn't know what the Depends
field means or what the state of its use is in the archive?
Or do you have some question about what it means?