Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Default Important information regarding upcoming dpkg 1.16.2 upload

Hi,

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, Guillem Jover wrote:
> With multiarch, non-installed selections w/o an architecture, do not
> make sense, in addition there's no guarantee they match any entry
> from the available file and the db could end up with a selection that
> could not be addressed from the command line when other more specific
> selections were present. As such the new dpkg will silently drop any
> such selections, which look like (with possible Section and Priority
> fields):
[...]
> In addition selections for packages unknown to dpkg will not be
> accepted anymore.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly but I'm afraid that this is a
serious regression.

It has always been possible to sort-of "duplicate" a system by doing
"dpkg --get-selections >file" on one computer and running "dpkg
--set-selections <file" on another computer followed by an "apt-get
dselect-upgrade".

This requires that dpkg accepts the selection for packages that it
doesn't know about (but that apt knows).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Guillem Jover

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 08:12:08 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > In addition selections for packages unknown to dpkg will not be
> > accepted anymore.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this correctly but I'm afraid that this is a
> serious regression.
>
> It has always been possible to sort-of "duplicate" a system by doing
> "dpkg --get-selections >file" on one computer and running "dpkg
> --set-selections <file" on another computer followed by an "apt-get
> dselect-upgrade".
>
> This requires that dpkg accepts the selection for packages that it
> doesn't know about (but that apt knows).

Which has always been wrong, it's the equivalent of expecting apt to
accept operations on unknown packages. dpkg should really not accept
random junk on --set-selections. The implication of this is just that
if the available file is not getting updated, then it needs get synced
back before setting the selections with one of the several methods:

dselect update
sync-available
apt-cache dumpavail && dpkg --update-avail / --merge-avail

I don't see how that's too onerous, for a more reliable operation. In
addition the users will get a nice warning for unavailable packages.

regards,
guillem

Old 03-19-2012, 07:35 AM
Guillem Jover

Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Ian Jackson

Guillem Jover writes ("Re: Important information regarding upcoming dpkg 1.16.2 upload"):
> On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 08:12:08 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > It has always been possible to sort-of "duplicate" a system by doing
> > "dpkg --get-selections >file" on one computer and running "dpkg
> > --set-selections <file" on another computer followed by an "apt-get
> > dselect-upgrade".
> >
> > This requires that dpkg accepts the selection for packages that it
> > doesn't know about (but that apt knows).
>
> Which has always been wrong, it's the equivalent of expecting apt to
> accept operations on unknown packages. dpkg should really not accept
> random junk on --set-selections. The implication of this is just that
> if the available file is not getting updated, then it needs get synced
> back before setting the selections with one of the several methods:

No, it is entirely correct (in dpkg's model) for dpkg to accept such
settings. If you are using an access method that doesn't involve apt,
it will be effective, in that when the packages which were previously
selected are presented to dpkg for possible installation, dpkg will
know that they're wanted.

Ian.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Ian Jackson