Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Joey Hess

Default Translated manual pages & dh_installman behaviour

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Joey, would it be possible to also extract the language code from the
> path when the dirname matches m{/man/([a-z][a-z](?:_[A-Z][A-Z])?)/mand$} ?
>
> It's specific enough to avoid wrong guesses and it seems to make sense
> when you want to use dh_installman to install manual pages taken out of
> debian/tmp as is the case here:
> $ head -n 4 debian/dpkg.manpages
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/*/dpkg-deb.1
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/dpkg-deb.1
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/*/dpkg-divert.8
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/dpkg-divert.8

If your manual pages are already being installed to the correct
directories, you don't need to use dh_installman to install them,
you can just use dh_install. dh_installman will find man pages installed
by dh_install and do utf-8 fixups etc to them as needed.

--
see shy jo

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Joey Hess wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Joey, would it be possible to also extract the language code from the
> > path when the dirname matches m{/man/([a-z][a-z](?:_[A-Z][A-Z])?)/mand$} ?
> >
> > It's specific enough to avoid wrong guesses and it seems to make sense
> > when you want to use dh_installman to install manual pages taken out of
> > debian/tmp as is the case here:
> > $ head -n 4 debian/dpkg.manpages
> > debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/*/dpkg-deb.1
> > debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/dpkg-deb.1
> > debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/*/dpkg-divert.8
> > debian/tmp/usr/share/man/*/dpkg-divert.8
>
> If your manual pages are already being installed to the correct
> directories, you don't need to use dh_installman to install them,
> you can just use dh_install. dh_installman will find man pages installed
> by dh_install and do utf-8 fixups etc to them as needed.

We used to do that but we no longer can because dh_install treats a glob
matching no files as an error and the translated manual pages come & go
based on the percentage of completenees of each translation (wich itself
varies based on the changes that we do when we update the english manual
page).

Our first solution for this was to hack up a glob with a brace which
included the always existing english manual page:
debian/tmp/usr/share/man/{*,*/*}/dpkg-divert.8

While this was working, it was not officially supported and we only discovered
it when lintian started warning about it.

Cf the discussion in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642129

(And as indicated in the commit message, we're not really interested in
making debian/dpkg.install a script just to allow for proper installation
of optional files)

Thus I'm suggesting this dh_installman enhancement as a compromise. It
does look reasonable to me.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2012, Joey Hess wrote:
> > If your manual pages are already being installed to the correct
> > directories, you don't need to use dh_installman to install them,
> > you can just use dh_install. dh_installman will find man pages installed
> > by dh_install and do utf-8 fixups etc to them as needed.
>
> We used to do that but we no longer can because dh_install treats a glob
> matching no files as an error and the translated manual pages come & go
> based on the percentage of completenees of each translation (wich itself
> varies based on the changes that we do when we update the english manual
> page).
>
> Our first solution for this was to hack up a glob with a brace which
> included the always existing english manual page:
> debian/tmp/usr/share/man/{*,*/*}/dpkg-divert.8
>
> While this was working, it was not officially supported and we only discovered
> it when lintian started warning about it.
>
> Cf the discussion in http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=642129
>
> (And as indicated in the commit message, we're not really interested in
> making debian/dpkg.install a script just to allow for proper installation
> of optional files)
>
> Thus I'm suggesting this dh_installman enhancement as a compromise. It
> does look reasonable to me.

So, Joey, would you accept the attached patch or should I hack around both
limitations?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer