Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Guillem Jover

Default Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal (was: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match)

On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 16:41:21 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Guillem Jover writes ("Re: Multiarch file overlap summary and proposal (was: Summary: dpkg shared / reference counted files and version match)"):
> > [...] But trying to workaround this by coming
> > up with stacks of hacked up solutions [...]
>
> I disagree with your tendentious phrasing. The refcnt feature is not
> a "hacked up solution" (nor a stack of them). It is entirely normal
> in Debian core tools (as in any substantial piece of software serving
> a lot of diverse needs) to have extra code to make it easier to deploy
> or use in common cases simpler.

All along this thread, when referring to the additional complexity and
the additional hacks, I've not been talking about the refcnt'ing at
all, but to all the other "fixes" needed to make it a workable solution.

regards,
guillem