Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM
"dE ."

Default Only preserve a few conf files.

By default, when overwriting config files, dpkg will ask about it and
the default action will be no. On Desktop systems with inexperienced
users, the default action may not be a good idea (for .e.g. when
updating sudoers).

So is there a way to preserve only some conf files and overwrite the
rest (as default action)? These configuration files are the ones that
the admin modified so they should remain the default.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, dE . wrote:
> By default, when overwriting config files, dpkg will ask about it
> and the default action will be no. On Desktop systems with
> inexperienced users, the default action may not be a good idea (for
> .e.g. when updating sudoers).
>
> So is there a way to preserve only some conf files and overwrite the
> rest (as default action)? These configuration files are the ones
> that the admin modified so they should remain the default.

Please ask such questions to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org is about the development of dpkg.

(There's the --force-confnew switch that you can use but it
can't be selectively applied only for some configurations files. It's an
all or nothing kind of option.)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/

Old 11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 08:22:13PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Nov 2011, dE . wrote:

>> By default, when overwriting config files, dpkg will ask about it
>> and the default action will be no. On Desktop systems with
>> inexperienced users, the default action may not be a good idea (for
>> .e.g. when updating sudoers).
>>
>> So is there a way to preserve only some conf files and overwrite the
>> rest (as default action)? These configuration files are the ones
>> that the admin modified so they should remain the default.
>
> Please ask such questions to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

Actually I think this question was about a bug in the sudo package, so
the existing report about it against the sudo package would be the
right place to start.

Luckily it has already been fixed:

| sudo (1.8.3p1-2) unstable; urgency=low
|
| * if upgrading from squeeze, and the sudoers file is unmodified, avoid
| the packaging system prompting the user about a change they didn't make
| now that sudoers is a conffile, closes: #612532, #636049

dE, the behavior you propose is already the default behavior of dpkg.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM
"dE ."

By default, when overwriting config files, dpkg will ask about it
and the default action will be no. On Desktop systems with
inexperienced users, the default action may not be a good idea (for
.e.g. when updating sudoers).

So is there a way to preserve only some conf files and overwrite the
rest (as default action)? These configuration files are the ones
that the admin modified so they should remain the default.

Please ask such questions to debian-user@lists.debian.org.

Actually I think this question was about a bug in the sudo package, so
the existing report about it against the sudo package would be the
right place to start.

Luckily it has already been fixed:

| sudo (1.8.3p1-2) unstable; urgency=low
|
| * if upgrading from squeeze, and the sudoers file is unmodified, avoid
| the packaging system prompting the user about a change they didn't make
| now that sudoers is a conffile, closes: #612532, #636049

dE, the behavior you propose is already the default behavior of dpkg.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

Yeah, I did modify the sudoers file. Thanks. Now I use sudoers.d