-   -   Multiarch support in dpkg really in time for wheezy? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/602267-multiarch-support-dpkg-really-time-wheezy.html)

Goswin von Brederlow 11-24-2011 02:30 PM

Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
>> What worries me is that there is multi-arch work in dpkg, work that has
>> its origins in Debian. That work is ready enough to be deployed in
>> popular Debian derivatives such as Ubuntu, but is not in Debian proper
>> yet. That is bad for Debian morale and should be avoided. Moreover, that
>> work is also considered ready enough by other dpkg co-maintainers, by
>> the Release Team, and by various porters, which have all asked multiple
>> times to have that work in the Debian archive.
>
> You could also make a case from a terminological perspective as well.
> Unstable is where development in Debian is supposed to happen, so it's
> perfectly acceptable to upload unfinished/unstable changes, and if you
> happen to break something (at least with dpkg) you'll have hundreds of
> eyes looking at what you broke and trying to figure out how to fix it.
> So anyway, don't worry so much about breaking unstable. That's what
> its there for.
>
> Best wishes,
> Mike

s/unstable/experimental/

Screwing up dpkg in unstable is too anoying to too many users and really
not neccessary.

But yes, multi-arch dpkg is way overdue.

MfG
Goswin

Goswin von Brederlow 11-28-2011 08:58 AM

Multiarch support in dpkg really in time for wheezy?

> Hi,
>
> I'll try to share some news with the release team.
>
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
>> What I'll do though, when I get back home tomorrow from my current
>> trip, is to push already reviewed stuff and keep pushing incrementally,
>> instead of my usual big pushes, so that the progress is more visible.
>
> This has been the case so far with regular progress every week. The last
> changes have not been pushed on the master branch but on guillem's private
> repository.
>
> http://git.hadrons.org/?p=debian/dpkg.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/pu/multiarch/master
>
> The latest changes have been made today. About half of the multiarch
> branch has already been merged on master.
>
>> The 1.16.2 will still happen, as planned, quicker than our usual 2
>> months between micro releases.
>
> According to this sentence, the last possible date for the 1.16.2 release
> is today.
>
> Guillem, given that you're not yet over, can you try to set a new target?
>
> Cheers,

Hi Raphael,

could you maybe please just upload a multiarch dpkg to experimental
without waiting for Guillem?

If he wants to audit the changes before they go into unstable that is
fine but it makes no sense not to test the code by more people already
or to have them all search around for what git repository to use this
week for the latest changes.

Lets find and fix the bugs before Guillem has to audit them.

MfG
Goswin