Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Philipp Kern

Default Proposal: convert all udebs to xz compression

Otavio,

am Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:55:12PM -0200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 23:14, Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 13:26, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> >> So my proposal is to switch the udeb compression default in dpkg to xz
> >> for wheezy, when the busybox and udpkg changes have landed. *Then most
> >> udebs will get a translation upload anyway, if not they can be binNMUed
> >> to pick up the right compression.
> > From my side you have a "go ahead" but I'd like to hear from Colin and
> > Joey if they can think about any con about doing it.
> What is the current status of it?

blocked on inconclusive feedback of the dpkg devs on using the extreme variant
of xz (see #647915). We could start with -z0 of course, which would be
supported by dpkg-dev and hence a trivial patch of debhelper would do.
But it doesn't gain that much.

In other news I didn't yet upload the udpkg change because I waited for a
busybox upload to incorporate the already committed unxz inclusion.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern
--
.'`. Philipp Kern Debian Developer
: :' : http://philkern.de Stable Release Manager

Old 11-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Otavio Salvador

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 17:21, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> Otavio,
>
> am Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:55:12PM -0200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
>> > From my side you have a "go ahead" but I'd like to hear from Colin and
>> > Joey if they can think about any con about doing it.
>> What is the current status of it?
>
> blocked on inconclusive feedback of the dpkg devs on using the extreme variant
> of xz (see #647915). *We could start with -z0 of course, which would be
> supported by dpkg-dev and hence a trivial patch of debhelper would do.
> But it doesn't gain that much.

Dpkg people, can you comment on that? I've pinged people on IRC
already about this bug earlier today.

> In other news I didn't yet upload the udpkg change because I waited for a
> busybox upload to incorporate the already committed unxz inclusion.

This has already been done. Please go ahead with udpkg then :-)

--
Otavio Salvador* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *O.S. Systems
E-mail: otavio@ossystems.com.br* http://www.ossystems.com.br

Old 11-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Guillem Jover

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 17:32:49 -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 17:21, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> > *We could start with -z0 of course, which would be
> > supported by dpkg-dev and hence a trivial patch of debhelper would do.
> > But it doesn't gain that much.

If you mean dpkg-deb, then as mentioned on the bug report -z0 will switch
the compressor to none. The closer thing you can get right now is -z1.

> Dpkg people, can you comment on that? I've pinged people on IRC
> already about this bug earlier today.

I'm not on IRC anymore. In any case I've been making up my mind over
this and playing with some possible options and some draft code, I'll
reply to the bug report when I have something more concrete.

regards,
guillem

Old 11-20-2011, 12:50 PM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

How is alteration from .gz to .xz going to do anything but create new upgrade or boot issues?

what bug number is it?

-----------------------------

Is lzh/ma xz built already built-in (to kernel or glibs)? What if kernel or libs changes or isn't
yet installed? Use bin?

Won't this mean all software and scripts that look into udebs will need to be re-written? Also that
udebs will no longer be compatible with dpkg as they were?

Just wondering what the "upgrade" is?

Bob the Toucan — Copyright © 2005, 2006 Ville Koskinen

~ liblzma doesn't include any file I/O functions. A separate I/O library is planned, which would
abstract handling of .gz

Below is an incomplete and somewhat vague list of operating systems "most linux"

"XZ Utils is free general-purpose data compression software with high compression ratio. XZ Utils
also work on some not-so-POSIX systems. XZ Utils are the successor ~"

* liblzma is a compression library with API similar to that of zlib.
* xz is a command line tool with syntax similar to that of gzip.

isn't that a 360 while not yet finished ?