FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian dpkg

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Helge Kreutzmann
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Hello,
recently the some man pages were updated which I liked a lot (guess
I'm a man page fan). Unfortunately they containted some incorrect man page
formatting commands (probably difficult to spot since the script is
not even remotely relevant to latin). I fixed what I could and had a
brief interchange with the submitter to get a proper update.

Today he provided the update, almost completing the translation at the
same time, which is great. The submitted man page passes the test as
stated in README.translators, i.e.
$ msgmerge -U <file> dpkg.pot
$ msgfmt -c -o /dev/null --statistics <file>
$ msgcat <file> >/dev/null

However, when trying to "build" the translation by running:
git clean -d -X -f
autoreconf -f -i
./configure
make -C po update-po
make -C dselect/po update-po
make -C scripts/po update-po
make -C man update-po

it unfortunately still fails with some formatting errors.

While in principle this can be fixed (Kenshi-San, could you run the
above sequence please and fix the errors found?) it would be great if
the pre-checkin checks could check those as well. However, not beeing
po errors probably this is not easy?

Greetings

Helge

--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de
Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred
Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/
 
Old 11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Hi,

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> However, when trying to "build" the translation by running:
> git clean -d -X -f
> autoreconf -f -i
> ./configure
> make -C po update-po
> make -C dselect/po update-po
> make -C scripts/po update-po
> make -C man update-po
>
> it unfortunately still fails with some formatting errors.

If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/

Or does it auto-disable the corresponding language without failing?

> While in principle this can be fixed (Kenshi-San, could you run the
> above sequence please and fix the errors found?) it would be great if
> the pre-checkin checks could check those as well. However, not beeing
> po errors probably this is not easy?

Well, such tests are not quick and executing them for each commit in a
hook seems sub-optimal.

It's possible to use some robot to handle the merge of new branch only
after a successul build but I think it's a bit overkill for us. And it
would also further confuse translators.

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Git+Plugin#GitPlugin-AdvancedFeatures

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Pre-order a copy of the Debian Administrator's Handbook and help
liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111105210701.GA25235@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111105210701.GA25235@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Helge Kreutzmann
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Hello,
On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 10:07:01PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > However, when trying to "build" the translation by running:
> > git clean -d -X -f
> > autoreconf -f -i
> > ./configure
> > make -C po update-po
> > make -C dselect/po update-po
> > make -C scripts/po update-po
> > make -C man update-po
> >
> > it unfortunately still fails with some formatting errors.
>
> If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
> http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
> http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/

When are those build? Once a day? If so, then they are probably not
yet rebuild.

> > While in principle this can be fixed (Kenshi-San, could you run the
> > above sequence please and fix the errors found?) it would be great if
> > the pre-checkin checks could check those as well. However, not beeing
> > po errors probably this is not easy?
>
> Well, such tests are not quick and executing them for each commit in a
> hook seems sub-optimal.

Yes, I agree. And so far this has worked, so probably best to ignore
this idea.

Greetings

Helge

--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de
Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred
Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/
 
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Kenshi Muto
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Hi,

First, thanks Guillem for your fixing format errors.
I'll tell the translator to correct.

At Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:27:05 +0100,
Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 05, 2011 at 10:07:01PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Sat, 05 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > However, when trying to "build" the translation by running:
> > > git clean -d -X -f
> > > autoreconf -f -i
> > > ./configure
> > > make -C po update-po
> > > make -C dselect/po update-po
> > > make -C scripts/po update-po
> > > make -C man update-po

Oh, this is exactly what I was seeking!

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111106102447.3D79A1A77F7@mail.topstudio.co.jp">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111106102447.3D79A1A77F7@mail.topstudio.co.jp
 
Old 11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
> > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
> > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/
>
> When are those build? Once a day? If so, then they are probably not
> yet rebuild.

They are rebuilt automatically after each push (or they should at least).

And indeed wo got a build failure but a bit late... (build number 107)

Michael, can you update the config so that debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
gets the build failure notification?

Do you also any idea why the build #107 happened only on 6 nov. 2011
00:01:33 when the push was made on 05 Nov 2011 02:37:25?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Pre-order a copy of the Debian Administrator's Handbook and help
liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111106122149.GA30341@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111106122149.GA30341@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Helge Kreutzmann
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Hello Raphel,
On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 01:21:49PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
> > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
> > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/
> >
> > When are those build? Once a day? If so, then they are probably not
> > yet rebuild.
>
> They are rebuilt automatically after each push (or they should at least).

Well, I always see a line with "jenkins" in it and "permission denied"
on commit (can check the exact error message on next commit), so maybe for
some reason not all checkins are triggering the rebuild?

Greetings

Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann debian@helgefjell.de
Dipl.-Phys. http://www.helgefjell.de/debian.php
64bit GNU powered gpg signed mail preferred
Help keep free software "libre": http://www.ffii.de/
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello Raphäel,
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 01:21:49PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > > If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
> > > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
> > > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/
> > >
> > > When are those build? Once a day? If so, then they are probably not
> > > yet rebuild.
> >
> > They are rebuilt automatically after each push (or they should at least).
>
> Well, I always see a line with "jenkins" in it and "permission denied"
> on commit (can check the exact error message on next commit), so maybe for
> some reason not all checkins are triggering the rebuild?

Oh, right this explains it then. I think I fixed it by adding commit
rights to translators so that you're part of the scm_dpkg group on
Alioth. (Should take effect shortly after some cron-scheduled processing I
think)

The reason why you were still able to commit is due to ACL that allowed
write accesses to any member in the "dpkg" group.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Pre-order a copy of the Debian Administrator's Handbook and help
liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111106130720.GC30341@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20111106130720.GC30341@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Michael Prokop
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

* Raphael Hertzog [Sun Nov 06, 2011 at 01:21:49PM +0100]:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > > If that's true, it's strange that none of the automatic build failed:
> > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-source/
> > > http://jenkins.grml.org/view/Debian/job/dpkg-binaries/

> > When are those build? Once a day? If so, then they are probably not
> > yet rebuild.

> They are rebuilt automatically after each push (or they should at least).

> And indeed wo got a build failure but a bit late... (build number 107)

> Michael, can you update the config so that debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
> gets the build failure notification?

Did that.

Do you want me to replace your mail address with
debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org in the dpkg-test* jobs as well or
should it stay as it is?

> Do you also any idea why the build #107 happened only on 6 nov. 2011
> 00:01:33 when the push was made on 05 Nov 2011 02:37:25?

Given the followup mails, is this still an issue to investigate?

regards,
-mika-
 
Old 11-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011, Michael Prokop wrote:
> > Michael, can you update the config so that debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org
> > gets the build failure notification?
>
> Did that.

Thanks.

> Do you want me to replace your mail address with
> debian-dpkg@lists.debian.org in the dpkg-test* jobs as well or
> should it stay as it is?

This branch is under my control only so it's ok as it is.

> > Do you also any idea why the build #107 happened only on 6 nov. 2011
> > 00:01:33 when the push was made on 05 Nov 2011 02:37:25?
>
> Given the followup mails, is this still an issue to investigate?

No, thanks.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Pre-order a copy of the Debian Administrator's Handbook and help
liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20111106145732.GA956@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/20111106145732.GA956@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Peter Krefting
 
Default Improving pre checkin requirements for man page translations?

Raphael Hertzog:

Well, I always see a line with "jenkins" in it and "permission denied"
on commit (can check the exact error message on next commit), so maybe
for some reason not all checkins are triggering the rebuild?
Oh, right this explains it then. I think I fixed it by adding commit
rights to translators so that you're part of the scm_dpkg group on Alioth.
(Should take effect shortly after some cron-scheduled processing I think)


I still got the Jenkins error when I committed some updated translations, so
it is not working fully yet (my Debian/Alioth username is peterk).


--
// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: alpine.DEB.2.00.1111272047400.3881@ds9.cixit.se">h ttp://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.2.00.1111272047400.3881@ds9.cixit.se
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org