-   -   force-unsafe-io not doing much? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/592329-force-unsafe-io-not-doing-much.html)

Phillip Susi 10-28-2011 04:05 PM

force-unsafe-io not doing much?

Activating --force-unsafe-io only seems to eliminate a small fraction of
the total number of fsync() calls. Why is that? If I'm asking for
unsafe IO, shouldn't that get rid of them all?

Raphael Hertzog 10-28-2011 05:03 PM

force-unsafe-io not doing much?

Hi,

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Activating --force-unsafe-io only seems to eliminate a small
> fraction of the total number of fsync() calls. Why is that? If I'm
> asking for unsafe IO, shouldn't that get rid of them all?

This option has been introduced to get rid of the fsync() call on
the installed files because of the slowdown it involved with some
filesystems.

But we never intended to get rid of the fsync() calls which guaranty the
consistency of the status database.

So it's normal that you still see some fsync() calls.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

liberate it: http://debian-handbook.info/go/ulule-rh/