Old 10-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Jonathan Nieder

Default s3ql: uninstallable on kfreebsd-i386 or kfreebsd-amd64

Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> On 09/30/2011 02:43 PM, Robert Millan wrote:
>> 2011/9/28 Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org>:

>>> Does this mean that the package has to become Arch: any now? That seems
>>> wrong to me...
>>
>> Not necessarily, you can instead use:
>>
>> Depends: fuse | fuse4bsd
>
> S3QL depends on fuse when running on Linux, and on FUSE4BSD when running
> on FreeBSD. It is, however, not able to use fuse when running on
> FreeBSD, or bsdfuse when running on Linux, which the above dependency
> allows as well.
>
> Now, in this case this probably isn't a problem because (I assume) the
> fuse4bsd package doesn't exist for Linux, and the fuse package doesn't
> exist for kFreeBSD.

I believe that "Depends: fuse | fuse4bsd" is correct here. If someone
manages to get plain fuse working on kFreeBSD, then it should satisfy the
dependency.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Nikolaus Rath

On 10/04/2011 11:07 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Nikolaus Rath wrote:

>>> Not necessarily, you can instead use:
>>>
>>> Depends: fuse | fuse4bsd
>>
>> S3QL depends on fuse when running on Linux, and on FUSE4BSD when running
>> on FreeBSD. It is, however, not able to use fuse when running on
>> FreeBSD, or bsdfuse when running on Linux, which the above dependency
>> allows as well.
>>
>> Now, in this case this probably isn't a problem because (I assume) the
>> fuse4bsd package doesn't exist for Linux, and the fuse package doesn't
>> exist for kFreeBSD.
>
> I believe that "Depends: fuse | fuse4bsd" is correct here. If someone
> manages to get plain fuse working on kFreeBSD, then it should satisfy the
> dependency.

Yeah, I agree. But I'm trying to make a more general point: what's wrong
with an arch: all package having arch-dependend deps? Why isn't that
allowed?

Thanks,

-Nikolaus

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Yeah, I agree. But I'm trying to make a more general point: what's wrong
> with an arch: all package having arch-dependend deps? Why isn't that
> allowed?

Because this feature is not implemented in dpkg... it's not a matter of
allowed or not, it's a matter that dpkg doesn't grok arch-specific
dependencies in the control file.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer