Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 AM
"Gabor Z. Papp"

Default dpkg 1.16.1 configure

lo lo,

1.16.1 configure says:

hecking dpkg cpu type... i686
configure: WARNING: i686 not found in cputable
checking dpkg operating system type... linux-gnu
configure: WARNING: linux-gnu not found in ostable
checking dpkg architecture name... configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture

without installed dpkg the new 1.16.1 tarball can't be
configured/compiled due the above error.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 10:33:28 +0200, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> 1.16.1 configure says:
>
> hecking dpkg cpu type... i686
> configure: WARNING: i686 not found in cputable
> checking dpkg operating system type... linux-gnu
> configure: WARNING: linux-gnu not found in ostable
> checking dpkg architecture name... configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture
>
> without installed dpkg the new 1.16.1 tarball can't be
> configured/compiled due the above error.

W/o more context I can only guess, but did configure fail to find the
perl binary for any reason? Maybe you don't have it installed or you
do but in a non-standard path?

(If that's the case I should error out on that given that this would be
the second time someone reports this already.)

thanks,
guillem

Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM
"Gabor Z. Papp"

* Guillem Jover wrote:

| > without installed dpkg the new 1.16.1 tarball can't be
| > configured/compiled due the above error.

| W/o more context I can only guess, but did configure fail to find the
| perl binary for any reason? Maybe you don't have it installed or you
| do but in a non-standard path?

I have installed, but in a non-standard path, but even it could be
found, I don't have dpkg installed, so dpkg-architecture.pl will fail.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:40:06 +0200
"Gabor Z. Papp" <gzp@papp.hu> wrote:

> * Guillem Jover wrote:
>
> | > without installed dpkg the new 1.16.1 tarball can't be
> | > configured/compiled due the above error.
>
> | W/o more context I can only guess, but did configure fail to find the
> | perl binary for any reason? Maybe you don't have it installed or you
> | do but in a non-standard path?
>
> I have installed, but in a non-standard path, but even it could be
> found, I don't have dpkg installed, so dpkg-architecture.pl will fail.

Gabor: dpkg does try to avoid depending on itself, so there is no need
for dpkg-architecture to exist in $PATH. The configure script is
actually looking for dpkg-architecture.pl in the scripts/ directory of
the unpacked source. So it should be entirely possible to build dpkg
without having dpkg installed (it would make it impossible to bootstrap
new architectures otherwise).

See lines 10671, 10693 & 10715 of the configure script - it also sets
the PERL5LIB to look at the unpacked sources so that the Dpkg modules
can be found without having to have them installed.

What dpkg does need is a working perl installation to be able to run
the perl scripts directly from the unpacked sources.

So as long as perl can be found, whether you have dpkg installed or
not, dpkg-architecture.pl will work from the scripts/ directory. (Once
the package is built, the actual script becomes dpkg-architecture -
losing the .pl suffix, so this is one way to work out which script is
being called.)

Therefore, as Guillem has already mentioned, this is more likely to be
down to your perl installation - if you set the correct path to perl
does dpkg then build?

What path do you need to specify to run any perl script which is not
already in your $PATH?

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 AM
"Gabor Z. Papp"

* Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:

| Gabor: dpkg does try to avoid depending on itself, so there is no need
| for dpkg-architecture to exist in $PATH. The configure script is
| actually looking for dpkg-architecture.pl in the scripts/ directory of
| the unpacked source. So it should be entirely possible to build dpkg
| without having dpkg installed (it would make it impossible to
| bootstrap new architectures otherwise).

[...]

| What path do you need to specify to run any perl script which is not
| already in your $PATH?

ok, once more:

$ ./configure
[...]
checking dpkg cpu type... i686
configure: WARNING: i686 not found in cputable
checking dpkg operating system type... linux-gnu
configure: WARNING: linux-gnu not found in ostable
checking dpkg architecture name... configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture

Checking config.log:

configure:10667: checking dpkg cpu type
configure:10675: result: i686
configure:10677: WARNING: i686 not found in cputable
configure:10689: checking dpkg operating system type
configure:10697: result: linux-gnu
configure:10699: WARNING: linux-gnu not found in ostable
configure:10711: checking dpkg architecture name
configure:10718: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture

BTW, checking perl in config.log:

ac_cv_path_PERL=/pkg/bin/perl

$ which perl
/pkg/bin/perl

$ perl --version
This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 2 (v5.14.2) built for i686-linux-thread-multi

Let see ./configure again:

{ $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: checking dpkg architecture name" >&5
$as_echo_n "checking dpkg architecture name... " >&6; }

dpkg_arch=$(cd $srcdir/scripts;
PERL5LIB=$(pwd) $PERL dpkg-architecture.pl -t$host -qDEB_HOST_ARCH 2>/dev/null)

if test "x$dpkg_arch" = "x"; then
as_fn_error $? "cannot determine host dpkg architecture" "$LINENO" 5
else
{ $as_echo "$as_me:${as_lineno-$LINENO}: result: $dpkg_arch" >&5
$as_echo "$dpkg_arch" >&6; }
fi

cat >>confdefs.h <<_ACEOF
#define ARCHITECTURE "${dpkg_arch}"
_ACEOF

So, what is failing?

(cd $srcdir/scripts; PERL5LIB=$(pwd) $PERL dpkg-architecture.pl -t$host -qDEB_HOST_ARCH 2>/dev/null)

Let me remove 2>/dev/null:

checking dpkg architecture name... Can't exec "dpkg": No such file or directory at /home/gzp/src/dpkg-1.16.1/scripts/Dpkg/Arch.pm line 52.
dpkg-architecture.pl: error: dpkg --print-architecture failed: No such file or directory
configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture

Without installed dpkg I can't configure 1.16.1

Old 09-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 08:54:53 +0200, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> * Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
> | [...] So it should be entirely possible to build dpkg
> | without having dpkg installed (it would make it impossible to
> | bootstrap new architectures otherwise).

Well not impossible, just slightly more complicated. But in any case,
yes that's something that should not be required.

> So, what is failing?
>
> (cd $srcdir/scripts; PERL5LIB=$(pwd) $PERL dpkg-architecture.pl -t$host -qDEB_HOST_ARCH 2>/dev/null)
>
> Let me remove 2>/dev/null:
>
> checking dpkg architecture name... Can't exec "dpkg": No such file or directory at /home/gzp/src/dpkg-1.16.1/scripts/Dpkg/Arch.pm line 52.
> dpkg-architecture.pl: error: dpkg --print-architecture failed: No such file or directory
> configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture
>
> Without installed dpkg I can't configure 1.16.1

Ineed, sorry I had forgotten about that. This is a known current
limitation as noted by the comment in the code in get_raw_build_arch()
“# FIXME: Handle bootstrapping”. I'll try to fix this for my next
push.

thanks,
guillem

Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Guillem Jover

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 19:07:00 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 08:54:53 +0200, Gabor Z. Papp wrote:
> > So, what is failing?
> >
> > (cd $srcdir/scripts; PERL5LIB=$(pwd) $PERL dpkg-architecture.pl -t$host -qDEB_HOST_ARCH 2>/dev/null)
> >
> > Let me remove 2>/dev/null:
> >
> > checking dpkg architecture name... Can't exec "dpkg": No such file or directory at /home/gzp/src/dpkg-1.16.1/scripts/Dpkg/Arch.pm line 52.
> > dpkg-architecture.pl: error: dpkg --print-architecture failed: No such file or directory
> > configure: error: cannot determine host dpkg architecture
> >
> > Without installed dpkg I can't configure 1.16.1
>
> Ineed, sorry I had forgotten about that. This is a known current
> limitation as noted by the comment in the code in get_raw_build_arch()
> “# FIXME: Handle bootstrapping”. I'll try to fix this for my next
> push.

This should be fixed now in git master.

thanks,
guillem