Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Guillem Jover

Default Next upload 2011-09-11 (dpkg 1.16.1)

Hi!

It's been some time now since last upload (a busy summer for me with
guests over during most of it!), and quite some changes have
accumulated, so let's set as tentative target this next sunday for
1.16.1.

I still have some changed to push, which I'll be doing during today,
and a second push tomorrow or so, to give time for some more testing
before the upload. I'll be going through remaining issues with the
upload during the week too.

After that, most of the foundation should be in place to proceed with
a multiarch enabled dpkg in 1.16.2.

regards,
guillem

Old 09-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> It's been some time now since last upload (a busy summer for me with
> guests over during most of it!), and quite some changes have
> accumulated, so let's set as tentative target this next sunday for
> 1.16.1.

o/

Thank you Guillem.

> I still have some changed to push, which I'll be doing during today,
> and a second push tomorrow or so, to give time for some more testing
> before the upload. I'll be going through remaining issues with the
> upload during the week too.

I'll also try to push today or tomorrow the code enabling hardening
build flags as Kees sent me his documentation patch.

It's also one of those things where the sooner it hits sid the best it is
because that way a larger number of packages will be recompiled with them.

> After that, most of the foundation should be in place to proceed with
> a multiarch enabled dpkg in 1.16.2.

It would be great if we could release 1.16.2 as 1.16.1 + just multiarch
and put it in experimental say next week. I expect to be updating the
multiarch branch soon after you push the buffer API changes.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 09-14-2011, 06:00 AM
Guillem Jover

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 06:18:06 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> [...], so let's set as tentative target this next sunday for
> 1.16.1.

This didn't happen, so a small update follows.

> I still have some changed to push, which I'll be doing during today,
> and a second push tomorrow or so, to give time for some more testing
> before the upload. I'll be going through remaining issues with the
> upload during the week too.

I didn't do the second push (with part of the remaining buffer API
changes, needed for at least the --compare-versions fix) because it
included some translatable string modifications, which were going to
change with subsequent changes, to not create useless work for
translators.

I've also found a build regression in s-s-d on the Hurd by code staring,
I'm now build testing it on some systems other than my usual one.

Hope to push later today/tomorrow, and will probably be leaving some of
the intrusive stuff for 1.16.2, after that leave some days for the
pending issues and any possible new regressions.

thanks,
guillem

Old 09-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Wed, 2011-09-14 at 08:00:08 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 06:18:06 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I still have some changed to push, which I'll be doing during today,
> > and a second push tomorrow or so, to give time for some more testing
> > before the upload. I'll be going through remaining issues with the
> > upload during the week too.
>
> I didn't do the second push (with part of the remaining buffer API
> changes, needed for at least the --compare-versions fix) because it
> included some translatable string modifications, which were going to
> change with subsequent changes, to not create useless work for
> translators.

I ended up splitting and pulling out part of those dpkg_error buffer
API changes because I noticed I needed to change the subproc module
too, which started to cascade into too many places.

> Hope to push later today/tomorrow, and will probably be leaving some of
> the intrusive stuff for 1.16.2, after that leave some days for the
> pending issues and any possible new regressions.

Erm, ok so it took a bit more time than that because I wanted to be
extra careful, needed to fix the build system, etc. In any case now
that everything seems to have settled down and no additional
regressions have been spotted, I think tomorrow looks like a good day
to prepare the upload after having gone through the announcement
Raphal has drafted, which might need some updates at least for the
late interfaces changes, and I think while we are at it, it'd made
sense to also include the changes since our last d-d-a announcment,
so since dpkg 1.15.7.

thanks,
guillem