Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 AM
PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel

Default remaining files after an upgrade

hello

I tested one of my package (spyder) with piuparts.
The "install upgrade and purge" test failed with remaing files

13m27.1s INFO: Warning: Package purging left files on system:
/usr/share/pyshared/spyderlib owned by: python-spyderlib
/usr/share/pyshared/spyderlib/doc not owned

13m27.1s INFO: PASS: Installation, upgrade and purging tests.

doing the install test by hand, it seems that

installing and purging the old is ok (no remaining files)
installing and purging the new package is ok (no remaining files)

The problem triggered only during the upgrade

Investigating a little more on this I played with the dpkg --debug level
and I got this
D000010: process_archive: checking //usr/share/pyshared/spyderlib/doc/_sources/editor.txt for same files on upgrade/downgrade
D000010: process_archive: not removing //usr/share/pyshared/spyderlib/doc/_sources/editor.txt, since it matches /usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html/_sources/editor.txt
and at the end
dpkg*: avertissement*:*impossible de supprimer l'ancien répertoire «*/usr/share/pyshared/spyderlib/doc/_sources*»*: Le dossier n'est pas vide
sorry for the french
it mean sorry I can not remove the directory it is not empty
indeed dpkg decided not to remove identical files during an upgrade
Is it normal ?

thanks

Frederic

Old 08-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> I tested one of my package (spyder) with piuparts.
> The "install upgrade and purge" test failed with remaing files

Can you provide the old and new version of the package?

I think you have a symlink somewhere in your package, and while you
expected it to be replaced by a directory on upgrade, this did not happen.

And thus the old files were kept... because the place where they have been
moved to doesn't exist, it's still a symlink to the old place.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Follow my Debian News â–¶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)
▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 08-07-2011, 07:46 AM
PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel

> Can you provide the old and new version of the package?

here they are :

http://people.debian.org/~picca/spyder/

> I think you have a symlink somewhere in your package, and while you
> expected it to be replaced by a directory on upgrade, this did not happen.
> And thus the old files were kept... because the place where they have been
> moved to doesn't exist, it's still a symlink to the old place.

Here what I did

spyder-old

/usr/share/pyshare/spyderlib/doc (real files)
/usr/share/doc/spyder/html -> link to previous directory
/usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html -> same link

spyder-new

mode the doc into python-spyderlib
/usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html (real files)
/usr/share/doc/spyder/html -> link to the real files

Cheers

Frederic

Old 08-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > I think you have a symlink somewhere in your package, and while you
> > expected it to be replaced by a directory on upgrade, this did not happen.
> > And thus the old files were kept... because the place where they have been
> > moved to doesn't exist, it's still a symlink to the old place.
>
> Here what I did
>
> spyder-old
> /usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html -> same link
>
> spyder-new
> /usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html (real files)

So this is the transition that I mentionned and that dpkg does not do.
You have to remove /usr/share/doc/python-spyderlib/html in "preinst
upgrade" to let dpkg install the new directory.

Cheers,

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel

Thanks, I will do this in the preinst

I think that I am not the first one affected by that sort of problem.
Is there a FAQ for package transition usual mistakes ? like this one.

thanks

Frederic

Old 08-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Sun, 07 Aug 2011, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> Thanks, I will do this in the preinst
>
> I think that I am not the first one affected by that sort of problem.
> Is there a FAQ for package transition usual mistakes ? like this one.

No, but it's documented in the policy IIRC.

Cheers,