Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM
"Kingsley G. Morse Jr."

Default Histogram of ages of packages incrementally installed over 15 years

I thought you might be interested in the attached
histogram.

It's my shrine to the genius of debian's package management.

Thanks,
Kingsley

Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Christian PERRIER

Quoting Kingsley G. Morse Jr. (kingsley@loaner.com):
> I thought you might be interested in the attached
> histogram.
>
> It's my shrine to the genius of debian's package management.

Do you have this somewhere online? The Debian Publicity team could be
interested in adding a reference to it in a further Debian news
publication.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:30 PM
"Kingsley G. Morse Jr."

Hi Christian,

Yes, it's online at

http://picpaste.com/pics/4a80b4cedb82b5088f3b74f9c4bce2b2.1310243030.png

If a pastebin isn't good enough, I gave everyone
the right to copy it, so it's OK to post it online
somewhere else.

Thanks,
Kingsley

PS: Please note that while I showed that combining
packages of widely varying ages is possible, it
isn't always easy.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 AM
"John D. Hendrickson and Sara Darnell"

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:

Hi Christian,

Yes, it's online at

http://picpaste.com/pics/4a80b4cedb82b5088f3b74f9c4bce2b2.1310243030.png

If a pastebin isn't good enough, I gave everyone
the right to copy it, so it's OK to post it online
somewhere else.

Thanks,
Kingsley

PS: Please note that while I showed that combining
packages of widely varying ages is possible, it
isn't always easy.

I thought you might be interested in the attached
histogram.

It's my shrine to the genius of debian's package management.

Do you have this somewhere online? The Debian Publicity team could be
interested in adding a reference to it in a further Debian news
publication.

it's a great example of what can be done - and what to watch out for - thanks for posting I enjoyed

Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Phillip Susi

I thought you might be interested in the attached
histogram.

It's my shrine to the genius of debian's package management.

Wait a minute, you mean to say that you have packages installed that
have not seen an update in 10+ years? How can that be? There are
packages that haven't been updated for multiple stable releases that
have not completely rotted away? Which ones?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
"Kingsley G. Morse Jr."

Hi Phillip,

On 07/14/11 11:06, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Wait a minute, you mean to say that you have
> packages installed that have not seen an update
> in 10+ years?

Yes, that's right.

> How can that be?

I haven't upgraded from one entire distribution to
another for a long time.

Instead, I put

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

in

/etc/apt/sources.list

for the unstable distribution.

When I wanted to try a new package, or a newer
version of one that's already installed, I did
something like

$ apt-get install <package-name>

That installed or upgraded the package I was
interested in, and the packages it depended on,
while leaving other packages unchanged.

Does that make sense?

> [...]

Thanks,