Old 06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Josselin Mouette

Default The trigger in your Debian packages

Le vendredi 03 juin 2011 * 10:24 +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?
>
> 2/ If your package uses the "activate" directive, is it important that
> your package be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying
> dependencies) until the trigger has been processed?

> gconf (U)

1/ A package shipping files in the GConf directories might not work
until the trigger has run, but I don’t think it has an impact on its
dependencies.

> gdk-pixbuf

1/ This is a complicated case. A package shipping pixbuf loaders might
need them to work before being able to do other tasks. For example you
might not be able to process SVG icons until the trigger has been run.
We already encountered some hairy bugs caused by this trigger.

> glib2.0 (U)

1/ Same as GConf.

> gnome-icon-theme (U)

1/ No problem at all. Icons might be missing in applications until the
trigger has run, but that’s all.

> gnome-menus (U)

1/ No problem at all. The menu contents might be updated later, but it’s
read dynamically anyway.

> hicolor-icon-theme (U)

1/ Same as gnome-icon-theme.

> desktop-file-utils (U)

1/ I don’t think that’s a problem. The MIME database will be updated
later, but that shouldn’t affect reverse dependencies.

> fontconfig (U)

1/ This would only be a problem if a postinst script in a package would
require a given font the package depends on. I don’t think there are
such cases.

> python-support

1/ dpkg-trigger is always called with --no-await by reverse
dependencies, to save time during upgrades. This does not go without
problems, and some identified reverse dependencies have to run
update-python-modules -p by hand. Anyway it will probably go away during
the wheezy cycle.

Cheers,
--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Colin Watson

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:24:23AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

man-db wants to know about changes in manual page directories so that it
can update its database (for whatis and apropos), but this does not need
to cause triggering packages to be considered unconfigured. (You've
listed this as "no" already, which is accurate - I just wanted to
explicitly confirm that.)

lintian uses a trigger to register interest in changes to
/usr/share/locale/locale.alias and /usr/lib/locales-all (shipped by
locales and locales-all respectively) so that it can update its private
en_US.UTF-8 locale files. If the locale format changes, as does happen
occasionally, then lintian may malfunction until its trigger is
processed. I think that's dealt with well enough by lintian being in
triggers-pending state, though; I see no reason for locales and
locales-all to be considered unconfigured in the meantime.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]

Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Mike Hommey

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:24:23AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

Iceape uses an "interest" directive, and theorically, packages that
trigger it shouldn't be considered as installed, as they won't work
until the trigger has been run. In practice, I'm not sure it's
important.

Mike

Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Jan Dittberner

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:24:23AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> you're maintaining a Debian package which provides a trigger file.
> Currently a package that "activates" a trigger is put in the
> "triggers-awaited" status where it doesn't fulfill dependencies.
> The trigger must first be processed and only then is the package
> considered as "installed".

> Please reply for the packages that you maintain to the question that
> concerns you:

I maintain the cracklib2 package.

> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

cracklib2 is interested in various dictionary files. The files need to
be available in the file system but cracklib2 doesn't care whether the
packages providing the dictionary packages are configured.

So no, it's not important the the packages triggering the "interest"
of cracklib2 are configured.

> 2/ If your package uses the "activate" directive, is it important that
> your package be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying
> dependencies) until the trigger has been processed?

cracklib2 doesn't use the "activate" directive.

Kind Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Dittberner - Debian Developer
GPG-key: 4096R/558FB8DD 2009-05-10

Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Georges Khaznadar

Raphael Hertzog a crit :
> Please reply for the packages that you maintain to the question that
> concerns you:
>
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

Yes, it is important.

> 2/ If your package uses the "activate" directive, is it important that
> your package be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying
> dependencies) until the trigger has been processed?

Yes, it is important.

the trigger named "wims-reindex" can be raised by either package wims,
wims-modules or wims-extra-all (or other packages providing the
latter).

In either case, the index of existing and new modules needs to be
rebuilt, but as installing one of these package may install another one
by the means of dependancies, it is better to launch the build of
indexes after the last package unwrapped. And yes, until the index is
up-to-date, all of the packages related to the trigger wims-reindex are
considered as dirty intil the trigger is activated.

Best regards, Georges.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Keith Packard

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:24:23 +0200, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

(I maintain 'fontconfig' with a .triggers file)

> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

Yes. Many packages using fonts access them through 'fontconfig', so
installing the related font package is not sufficient for other packages
to use the fonts, they can only work if the fontconfig database is
updated, which currently happens through the triggers file.

> 2/ If your package uses the "activate" directive, is it important that
> your package be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying
> dependencies) until the trigger has been processed?

Fontconfig only uses the 'interest' directive.

--
keith.packard@intel.com

Old 06-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Keith Packard

Old 06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Nicholas Breen

On 06/03/2011 01:24 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

grace uses the "interest" trigger. No, that is not important for the
package's operation.

--
Nicholas Breen
nbreen@ofb.net

Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Joachim Breitner

Hi Raphael, Hi DHG,

Am Freitag, den 03.06.2011, 10:24 +0200 schrieb Raphael Hertzog:
> I need your help to identify the set of package which would have to
> use the new directives, if I decide to introduce this incompatible change.
> My recent mail to -devel[1] only suggested "ghc6" so I'm asking all the
> maintainers directly this time.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01180.html
>
> Please reply for the packages that you maintain to the question that
> concerns you:
>
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

Joey suggests that ghc is affected if packages start to compile stuff in
the postinst. But at the moment, this is not the case. Hence I’d say
“no” until someone complains about something not working that would
otherwise.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Old 06-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Andreas Henriksson

Hello!

I use triggers in rygel (which is a service that runs inside the user
desktop session) package to handle two things:

1) Detect changes in plugin folder and send SIGHUP to get rygel to
restart itself and activate/deactivate the newly installed/uninstalled
plugins.

2) Send SIGHUP to running rygel instances to restart itself on upgrades.

The second part could just as well be done through postinst, but since
the first part is best handled with triggers both are triggers.

The entire purpose is to make everything as seamless as possible for the
end user..... and handle potential future security updates, so people
will actually be secure after installing security updates and not have
old vulnerable services running even after installing the security
update.

On fre, 2011-06-03 at 10:24 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
[...]
> 1/ If your package uses the "interest" directive in the triggers files,
> is it important that the "triggering" packages that activate your triggers
> be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying dependencies)
> until the trigger has been processed?

no

> 2/ If your package uses the "activate" directive, is it important that
> your package be considered as not configured (and thus not satisfying
> dependencies) until the trigger has been processed?

n/a

Andreas Henriksson