Old 06-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Niels Thykier

Default Stability of part of Dpkg::Vendor

Hey

As the subject suggests; I would like to use a part of the Dpkg::Vendor
API instead of dpkg-vendor.
As you may know I in the process of adding "Vendor Customization" for
Lintian[1] and for that we recently decided to use dpkg-vendor in
Lintian to determine the best profile for the current vendor.

Nevertheless, dpkg-vendor is in the dpkg-dev package and that undermines
our work on #626476 (reducing dpkg-dev to a suggests). So if we could
use Dpkg::Vendor as fall-back in the absence of dpkg-vendor that would
be really great.
We use two dpkg-vendor queries:

dpkg-vendor --query Vendor

- and -

dpkg-vendor --vendor <$vendor> --query Parent

On a slightly related note: we assume that a given vendor can only have
one "Parent". This is based on the code in dpkg-vendor which seems to
imply this is the case (the 'derives-from' action).
If this assertion does not hold, please let me know so I can correct it.

~Niels

PS: Please CC me in replies.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Lintian/Spec/VendorCustomization

Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Fri, 03 Jun 2011, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Nevertheless, dpkg-vendor is in the dpkg-dev package and that undermines
> our work on #626476 (reducing dpkg-dev to a suggests). So if we could
> use Dpkg::Vendor as fall-back in the absence of dpkg-vendor that would
> be really great.

Ok, I have added it to the supported API.

> On a slightly related note: we assume that a given vendor can only have
> one "Parent". This is based on the code in dpkg-vendor which seems to
> imply this is the case (the 'derives-from' action).
> If this assertion does not hold, please let me know so I can correct it.

It holds currently, but it's not really documented either. I doubt we'll
have serious need to track multiple parents but who knows...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)