Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 AM
sean finney

Default Implement 'm' option for conffile merging during conflict resolution

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 03:19:09AM -0500, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Is "diff3 -m" the state of the art for this? Well, it will do to
> start. In the long term maybe some people will want to use some other
> tool to perform the merge, like RCS "merge" or something Config::Model
> based.

I think a very logical next step would be to think about how this could be
made configurable, either by the user or perhaps the packager (in the case
of Config::Model for example). so diff3 was just more of a basic
functionality "for starters".

> In the general case, the right merge result may depend on the content
> of other files (for example, if the user renamed a file so the new
> pristine version should be renamed, too). Luckily I don't think the
> layout is tying our hands, so that could happen in the future.

I'm not sure I follow you here...

> Tiny nitpick: I think I'd rather this not go on to 'N' automatically
> but return to the "what now?" prompt so the user can inspect the
> automatic merge result and decide whether she is happy with it, though
> I could be easily convinced otherwise.

Yeah, I agree. I forget why I didn't do that, but I think it was because
this was more of a proof of concept and I didn't want to go creating lots
of new strings or something, or didn't want to complicate the state machine
further until we could decide.

sean