Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Jonathan Nieder

Default using "dpkg -B" to remove dictionaries-common

Hi,

Today's dictionaries-common upgrade broke, so I'd like to get back to
a sane state and try it again. Currently the package is half-configured:

$ dpkg-query -l dictionaries-common
||/ Name Version Description
+++-======================-======================-================================================== ==========
rF dictionaries-common 1.5.17 Common utilities for spelling dictionary tools

So I try to remove it:

# dpkg -B --remove dictionaries-common
dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of dictionaries-common:
aspell depends on dictionaries-common (>> 0.40).
ispell depends on dictionaries-common.
myspell-en-us depends on dictionaries-common (>= 0.10) | openoffice.org-updatedicts; however:
Package dictionaries-common is to be removed.
Package openoffice.org-updatedicts is not installed.
Package dictionaries-common which provides openoffice.org-updatedicts is to be removed.
ienglish-common depends on dictionaries-common (>= 1.10.4~).
myspell-en-us depends on dictionaries-common (>= 0.10) | openoffice.org-updatedicts; however:
Package dictionaries-common is to be removed.
Package openoffice.org-updatedicts is not installed.
Package dictionaries-common which provides openoffice.org-updatedicts is to be removed.
dpkg: error processing dictionaries-common (--remove):
dependency problems - not removing
dictionaries-common

I would have expected -B to cause those packages to be deconfigured.

Now I try to do it explicitly:

# dpkg --deconfigure aspell
dpkg: error: unknown option --deconfigure

Ah, right; that doesn't exist. This is with dpkg master. Ideas?
Jonathan