Old 03-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Filip Zyzniewski

Default update-alternatives: add the --root option.

On 3/7/11, Filip Zyzniewski <filip.zyzniewski@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patch in the attachement.

And here is the same patch with a proper changelog entry added:
http://repository.jlime.com/0001-update-alternatives-add-the-root-option.patch.bz2
(via http to avoid cluttering up your mailboxes).

bye,
Filip

Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011, Filip Zyzniewski wrote:
> On 3/7/11, Filip Zyzniewski <filip.zyzniewski@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Patch in the attachement.
>
> And here is the same patch with a proper changelog entry added:
> http://repository.jlime.com/0001-update-alternatives-add-the-root-option.patch.bz2
> (via http to avoid cluttering up your mailboxes).

We did not get the initial email probably due to size restrictions... your
patch includes the regeneration of all PO files which makes it painful to
see the important modifications.

Furthermore it's best if you open a wishlist bug report for such features
and put your patch there as we might not be able to deal with them
immediately.

I looked at your patch and it seems to modify a lot of code to achieve
this. Some changes look gratuitous to me.

Can you justify the choices you made?

I think we should be able to not modify the structures. You can always
compute the usual path just by dropping the root prefix (the offset
induced by adding the root prefix is always the same).

If you fix mistakes (like a memory leak), do it in a separate commit,
don't mix bug fixes and new features.

The test suite should not be modified to always use --root, instead it
must test like it does and then also test with --root.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)