Old 02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Jonathan Nieder

Default Does use of dpkg-maintscript-helper require a pre-dependency?

Hi Raphal et al,

The dpkg-maintscript-helper manpage states:

Given that dpkg-maintscript-helper is used in the preinst,
using it unconditionally requires a pre-dependency to ensure
that the required version of dpkg has been configured before.

but that seems somewhat ambiguous to me now that a version of dpkg
with that functionality is in squeeze. Is the pre-dependency just to
ensure the right version of dpkg has been unpacked, or does it have to
have been configured?

Put another way, is dpkg-maintscript-helper part of dpkg's essential
functionality?

The reason I ask is to see whether one needs to go through the usual
process of adding a pre-dependency (following policy 3.5) to use
dpkg-maintscript-helper in wheezy. (If not, backporters would still
need a pre-dependency but the package in wheezy can be a little
simpler.)

Thanks for dpkg-maintscript-helper, by the way; it's very handy.
Jonathan

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Given that dpkg-maintscript-helper is used in the preinst,
> using it unconditionally requires a pre-dependency to ensure
> that the required version of dpkg has been configured before.
>
> but that seems somewhat ambiguous to me now that a version of dpkg
> with that functionality is in squeeze. Is the pre-dependency just to
> ensure the right version of dpkg has been unpacked, or does it have to
> have been configured?

Unpacking is enough. It's just a shell script, there's nothing more needed
to make it work.

> The reason I ask is to see whether one needs to go through the usual
> process of adding a pre-dependency (following policy §3.5) to use
> dpkg-maintscript-helper in wheezy. (If not, backporters would still
> need a pre-dependency but the package in wheezy can be a little
> simpler.)

Yeah, I fully expect people to not add the pre-dependency when the given
dpkg-maintscript-helper function is supported in oldstable.

Until then I advise people to use the protected version (with the if test)
or to add the pre-dependency (but it's not really needed to discuss it on
-devel, introducing a requirement to upgrade dpkg early in the upgrade
process is not a big deal).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer