-   -   Question about a alternative impacting on an other (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/493833-question-about-alternative-impacting-other.html)

Sylvestre Ledru 02-24-2011 08:55 PM

Question about a alternative impacting on an other

Hello,

I have a question about alternatives.

There is what I currently have.
I have two important linear algebra librairies which are managed by
update-alternatives as primary:
* libblas.so.3gf
* liblapack.so.3gf

There are have various implementations. For now, we have a few of them:
* refblas for libblas.
* lapack for lapack.
* atlas which provides both.

Switching to Atlas will update both blas and lapack alternatives.

This will work.

However, if manually, I update liblapack to Atlas:
update-alternatives --config liblapack.so.3gf
Obviously, it won't update the libblas.so.3gf.

In theory, this should not be a problem... However, lapack from Atlas
uses some internal of libblas.so.
IE, if the user has libblas.so configured as refblas.so and liblapack.so
as Atlas. This will break (cf bug #598638).

Is there a way to have a kind of trigger in update-alternatives for this
case ?

Thanks
Sylvestre
PS: Please CC, I am not subscribed.

Raphael Hertzog 02-25-2011 06:00 AM

Question about a alternative impacting on an other

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> However, if manually, I update liblapack to Atlas:
> update-alternatives --config liblapack.so.3gf
> Obviously, it won't update the libblas.so.3gf.
>
> In theory, this should not be a problem... However, lapack from Atlas
> uses some internal of libblas.so.
> IE, if the user has libblas.so configured as refblas.so and liblapack.so
> as Atlas. This will break (cf bug #598638).
>
> Is there a way to have a kind of trigger in update-alternatives for this
> case ?

Nope, there's nothing like that currently.

But we have a bug report requesting hooks for update-alternatives:

So maybe we will have something that would help at some point.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)