FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian dpkg

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Peter van Dijk
 
Default purge does not remove triggers?

Hello,

in short: removing a package that has requested File triggers, does not remove those triggers from /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File. Is this intended behaviour?

In long: installing the 'menu' package (tested on Debian 5 and Ubuntu 10.04) causes three triggers to end up in /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File:
$ grep menu /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File
/usr/share/menu menu
/usr/lib/menu menu
/etc/menu-methods menu

However, removing+purging menu does not remove those triggers. Is this intended behaviour? I'm asking because in a situation with a non-Debian package, I installed a version without trigger support after having used a package that did have trigger support. The trigger still being present in /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File therefore caused errors in configuring said package.

I have been unable to find any conclusive information on whether leaving triggers in that file is intended behaviour. I did find these snippets in /usr/share/doc/dpkg-dev/triggers.txt.gz but I am not sure in how far they describe the behaviour I am seeing as good or bad.

"""These interest files are not updated to remove a package just because
a state change causes it not to be interested in any triggers any more
- they are updated when we remove or unpack."""

and

"""When a package is unpacked or removed, its triggers control file will
be parsed and /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/* updated accordingly."""

I'm looking forward to, in short, a yes or no answer, and in long, explanation of these two snippets. Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk

--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 91B9BB25-3302-49C1-AEBC-295DC28A88CE@openpanel.com">http://lists.debian.org/91B9BB25-3302-49C1-AEBC-295DC28A88CE@openpanel.com
 
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default purge does not remove triggers?

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> in short: removing a package that has requested File triggers, does not
> remove those triggers from /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File. Is this intended
> behaviour?

I also noticed this recently (with some test-suite work), and it's true
for named triggers as well.

I don't think it's intended behaviour. But up to now I was believing it
was not clean but had no other consequences.

> However, removing+purging menu does not remove those triggers. Is this
> intended behaviour? I'm asking because in a situation with a non-Debian
> package, I installed a version without trigger support after having used
> a package that did have trigger support. The trigger still being present
> in /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File therefore caused errors in configuring
> said package.

You installed a version of menu without triggers support, is that what you
said?

Or are you referring to installation of another random package that
activated those triggers?

What were the errors that you saw?

> I'm looking forward to, in short, a yes or no answer, and in long,
> explanation of these two snippets. Thank you for your time.

To me, it means that the content of /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/* ought to be
updated during unpack or remove. In both cases a removal or a purge ought
to remove any mention of the triggers provided by the removed package.

Feel free to open a bug report for this.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Follow my Debian News ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)
▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110124172211.GA896@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">htt p://lists.debian.org/20110124172211.GA896@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Jonathan Nieder
 
Default purge does not remove triggers?

found 525160 dpkg/1.15.8.8
quit

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Peter van Dijk wrote:

>> However, removing+purging menu does not remove those triggers. Is this
>> intended behaviour? I'm asking because in a situation with a non-Debian
>> package, I installed a version without trigger support after having used
>> a package that did have trigger support. The trigger still being present
>> in /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/File therefore caused errors in configuring
>> said package.
>
> You installed a version of menu without triggers support, is that what you
> said?
>
> Or are you referring to installation of another random package that
> activated those triggers?
>
> What were the errors that you saw?
[...]
> Feel free to open a bug report for this.

Filed: http://bugs.debian.org/525160

Please feel free to add information to it (a patch, for example ).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110124185431.GA12640@burratino">http://lists.debian.org/20110124185431.GA12640@burratino
 
Old 01-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Peter van Dijk
 
Default purge does not remove triggers?

> You installed a version of menu without triggers support, is that what you
> said?

No - I deinstalled menu and noticed the triggers remained.

> Or are you referring to installation of another random package that
> activated those triggers?

No - there is another package, unrelated to menu, unrelated to anything in Debian base. It is called openpanel-core and it is part of the OpenPanel project (www.openpanel.com). The current development version of that package uses triggers. The last stable release does not. I installed the development version on my machine, then removed it, then installed the stable release which does not support triggers.

> What were the errors that you saw?

The result was:

Processing triggers for openpanel-core ...
postinst called with unknown argument 'triggered'

>> I'm looking forward to, in short, a yes or no answer, and in long,
>> explanation of these two snippets. Thank you for your time.
>
> To me, it means that the content of /var/lib/dpkg/triggers/* ought to be
> updated during unpack or remove. In both cases a removal or a purge ought
> to remove any mention of the triggers provided by the removed package.

Agreed.

> Feel free to open a bug report for this.

Apparently I did not search long or deep enough earlier today, and a bug report already exists.

Kind regards,
Peter van Dijk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 2CED7586-07F0-438B-AB41-DEBF377DF49A@openpanel.com">http://lists.debian.org/2CED7586-07F0-438B-AB41-DEBF377DF49A@openpanel.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org