-   -   I would like to get involved (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/460473-i-would-like-get-involved.html)

Michael Schmidt 12-02-2010 05:58 PM

I would like to get involved

Hi everybody!!

I would like to get involved in the debian dpkg package development
team. The problem is, that I don't know exactly what I can do to help.
I can program in java and know a little bit of perl. I also managed to
create a .deb package from the source in the git repository.

I hope there is something I can do

Michael

Jonathan Nieder 12-02-2010 06:15 PM

I would like to get involved

Hi Michael,

Michael Schmidt wrote:

> I would like to get involved in the debian dpkg package development
> team.

Welcome! You can find a collection of tasks here:

http://bugs.debian.org/dpkg-dev
http://bugs.debian.org/libdpkg-perl

most of which mostly involve scripting with perl. Code review is
also useful:

http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/ReviewMergeQueue

Testing and bug triage can be helpful, too.

In general, I find that starting out on a new project is easier if you
are motivated by your own need. Maybe there has been some little dpkg
behavior that bothered you? If so, I (and others on the list,
presumably) would be glad to give pointers towards fixing it.

Regards,
Jonathan

Raphael Hertzog 12-03-2010 07:08 AM

I would like to get involved

Hi Michael,

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> > I would like to get involved in the debian dpkg package development
> > team.
>
> Welcome! You can find a collection of tasks here:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/dpkg-dev
> http://bugs.debian.org/libdpkg-perl
>
> most of which mostly involve scripting with perl. Code review is
> also useful:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/ReviewMergeQueue
>
> Testing and bug triage can be helpful, too.

And working on tasks that are in the roadmap too:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/RoadMap

There are also some documentation related tasks in the bug tracker, you
might find them easier to start with.

Thanks Jonathan for your answer!
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer