-   -   Add primitive prefix filter support (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/450536-add-primitive-prefix-filter-support.html)

"ext-laszlo.papp@nokia.com" 11-10-2010 12:37 PM

Add primitive prefix filter support

Hello,

We propose to add this feature to dpkg:

http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/dpkg/commit/72c255d86d37a40d24d33ed784e8f3fbde377427

Current alternatives:

1) DPkg::Post-Invoke { "if [ -x /usr/bin/debsums ]; then /usr/bin/debsums

--generate=nocheck -sp /var/cache/apt/archives; fi"; find

/usr/share/doc/packagename -type f -delete} (just an example)

(I still have to figure out which package got installed, and for that I

need to use the "version 2 protocol" between apt and dpkg that man apt.conf

writes about.)

The problem with the following Post-Invoke hook:

The files are first written to disk and only then removed.* It is better to avoid writing them to disk at all.

2) Split packages: It depends on the packager(s) and as a user I would like to filter the installation in some way.

Dpkg is missing filter support in general.

(About the patch: A slight optimization could be achieved by pre-calculating

the prefix length, but does not really matter. It's by no means a bottleneck of

any kind anyway.)

I think it does not hurt those people who would not like to use this option, but it is a benefit for those ones,

who are involved in the embedded market using dpkg on their devices (like Nokia phones) or those in general, who would like to have a filter support.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards,

Laszlo Papp

Sven Joachim 11-10-2010 02:29 PM

On 2010-11-10 14:37 +0100, ext-laszlo.papp@nokia.com wrote:

> We propose to add this feature to dpkg:
> http://maemo.gitorious.org/maemo-af/dpkg/commit/72c255d86d37a40d24d33ed784e8f3fbde377427
>
> Current alternatives:
>
> 1) DPkg::Post-Invoke { "if [ -x /usr/bin/debsums ]; then /usr/bin/debsums
> --generate=nocheck -sp /var/cache/apt/archives; fi"; find
> /usr/share/doc/packagename -type f -delete} (just an example)
> (I still have to figure out which package got installed, and for that I
> need to use the "version 2 protocol" between apt and dpkg that man apt.conf
> writes about.)
>
> The problem with the following Post-Invoke hook:
> The files are first written to disk and only then removed. It is better to avoid writing them to disk at all.
>
> 2) Split packages: It depends on the packager(s) and as a user I would like to filter the installation in some way.
>
> Dpkg is missing filter support in general.

As of version 1.15.8, this is no longer true. Take a look at the
--path-exclude option which does what you want.

Sven

11-10-2010 08:07 PM

Add primitive prefix filter support

> 1) DPkg::Post-Invoke { "if [ -x /usr/bin/debsums ]; then /usr/bin/debsums
> --generate=nocheck -sp /var/cache/apt/archives; fi"; find
> /usr/share/doc/packagename -type f -delete} (just an example)
> (I still have to figure out which package got installed, and for that I
> need to use the "version 2 protocol" between apt and dpkg that man apt.conf
> writes about.)
>
> The problem with the following Post-Invoke hook:
> The files are first written to disk and only then removed. It is better to avoid writing them to disk at all.
>
> 2) Split packages: It depends on the packager(s) and as a user I would like to filter the installation in some way.
>
> Dpkg is missing filter support in general.

> As of version 1.15.8, this is no longer true. Take a look at the
> --path-exclude option which does what you want.

Yeah, we have already discussed it on IRC with 'themill', but thank you. Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp