-   -   problems with autoreconf (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-dpkg/445059-problems-autoreconf.html)

Michael Schmidt 10-28-2010 01:43 AM

problems with autoreconf

Hi everybody!

I was trying to rebuild the configure script with autoreconf an got the
following message:

man/Makefile.am:3: PO4A_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
man/Makefile.am:4: PO4A_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name
man/Makefile.am:7: PO4A_RM_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
man/Makefile.am:8: PO4A_RM_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name
scripts/Makefile.am:121: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
scripts/Makefile.am:126: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

then i tried running the configure script and it broke like this
.
.
.
checking for bcopy... yes
checking for memcpy... yes
checking for setsid... yes
checking for getdtablesize... yes
checking for posix_fadvise... yes
./configure: line 13869: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./configure: line 13869: `fi'

I tried investigating why this happens, but I can't find the reason. I
checked the configure script at that line, and from what I can tell this
problem is that the if statement never was opened, but there is a
closing else en fi.Maybe you guys can try and reproduce this error, just
so that I know that it definitely is a problem on my system.

I'm using the source from git

Guillem Jover 10-29-2010 05:20 AM

problems with autoreconf

Hi!

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 20:43:17 -0500, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> man/Makefile.am:3: PO4A_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:4: PO4A_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:7: PO4A_RM_V_$(V: non-POSIX variable name
> man/Makefile.am:8: PO4A_RM_V_$(AM_DEFAULT_VERBOSITY: non-POSIX variable name

These are harmless, and probably due to using automake < 1.11.

> scripts/Makefile.am:121: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
> scripts/Makefile.am:126: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension

Those two are also harmless. I've been trying to remove GNU make
extension usage whenever possible, but GNU make is wide spread enough
as to not make me bother if it implies turning the Makefiles into
something way more complex.

> then i tried running the configure script and it broke like this

> checking for bcopy... yes
> checking for memcpy... yes
> checking for setsid... yes
> checking for getdtablesize... yes
> checking for posix_fadvise... yes
> ./configure: line 13869: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
> ./configure: line 13869: `fi'

Most probably that's due to some m4 missquoting.

> I tried investigating why this happens, but I can't find the reason.
> I checked the configure script at that line, and from what I can
> tell this problem is that the if statement never was opened, but
> there is a closing else en fi.Maybe you guys can try and reproduce
> this error, just so that I know that it definitely is a problem on
> my system.

What version of automake are you using? Can you post your configure
script somewhere? Or send it to me privately if that's not possible
(as it's quite huge).

Most of the time the if is there, it's just concatenated with some
other text.

thanks,
guillem

Guillem Jover 11-06-2010 07:54 AM

problems with autoreconf

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 07:20:42 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 20:43:17 -0500, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> > then i tried running the configure script and it broke like this
>
> > checking for bcopy... yes
> > checking for memcpy... yes
> > checking for setsid... yes
> > checking for getdtablesize... yes
> > checking for posix_fadvise... yes
> > ./configure: line 13869: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
> > ./configure: line 13869: `fi'
>
> Most probably that's due to some m4 missquoting.

It was due to an empty 'else fi'.

> > I tried investigating why this happens, but I can't find the reason.
> > I checked the configure script at that line, and from what I can
> > tell this problem is that the if statement never was opened, but
> > there is a closing else en fi.Maybe you guys can try and reproduce
> > this error, just so that I know that it definitely is a problem on
> > my system.

> What version of automake are you using? Can you post your configure
> script somewhere? Or send it to me privately if that's not possible
> (as it's quite huge).

He is using automake 1.10.1, and autoconf 2.61 from lenny, and he sent
me the failing configure off-list.

I tried to reproduce it with automake 1.10.3 but it works with that.
I'm guessing though it's a problem with autoconf. Current autoconf
fills the empty 'else fi' body with a colon (null command).

> Most of the time the if is there, it's just concatenated with some
> other text.

I queued the attached patch which should fix this bug (you'll need to
apply the dpkg-m4-quotes.patch first), please let me know if there's
something else. They will be in my next push, today or tomorrow.

Sorry for now having come back to you earlier.

thanks,
guillem