FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian dpkg

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Michael Schmidt
 
Default I'm sad because you want to throw me out of the list.

I'm new to programming in c and I liked the dpkg package, because I thought it was fun to understand how exactly the packages are managed. That is why I started looking at the source code. I even found a bug with the configure system, and reported it. Now because I'm new to all the autotools stuff I posted a mail, with an error that really wasn't one. I'm sorry for that and I sent a mail immediately afterwards when I found out explaining my mistake. Today I got a mail:




It has been requested that the following address:



* * * michael.schmidt.dangel@gmail.com



should be deleted from the debian-dpkg mailing list.


should I stop interesting myself with this package, because I can find an other one. I don't know if it is the general opinion of this group of developers, that people interested in contributing to the project should all be total experts (they once where non experts too). But I would like to know if my effort in understanding the code is wanted or if I should search for something else. I don't mean to offend anybody, maybe this is not the right place for me, if this is the case, tell me in a nice way and I will not bother you guys any more.
 
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Raphael Hertzog
 
Default I'm sad because you want to throw me out of the list.

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> I'm new to programming in c and I liked the dpkg package, because I thought
> it was fun to understand how exactly the packages are managed. That is why I
> started looking at the source code. I even found a bug with the configure
> system, and reported it. Now because I'm new to all the autotools stuff I
> posted a mail, with an error that really wasn't one. I'm sorry for that and
> I sent a mail immediately afterwards when I found out explaining my mistake.
> Today I got a mail:
>
> It has been requested that the following address:
>
> michael.schmidt.dangel@gmail.com
>
> should be deleted from the debian-dpkg mailing list.

Be assured that none of the dpkg developers are responsible of this. You
might want to check the full headers of that message to learn more on
who/what tried to unsubscribe you.

Maybe it was a mistake of someone, I don't know. Don't put blame on people
if you don't know what really happened. I'm ccing listmaster maybe they
know better.

> should I stop interesting myself with this package, because I can find an
> other one. I don't know if it is the general opinion of this group of
> developers, that people interested in contributing to the project should all
> be total experts (they once where non experts too). But I would like to know
> if my effort in understanding the code is wanted or if I should search for
> something else. I don't mean to offend anybody, maybe this is not the right
> place for me, if this is the case, tell me in a nice way and I will not
> bother you guys any more.

As far I am concerned, you are welcome to learn and to try contributing to
dpkg.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

Follow my Debian News ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)
▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101026073414.GF29921@rivendell.home.ouaza.com">h ttp://lists.debian.org/20101026073414.GF29921@rivendell.home.ouaza.com
 
Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Michael Schmidt
 
Default I'm sad because you want to throw me out of the list.

Hi

>Maybe it was a mistake of someone, I don't know. Don't put blame on people

>if you don't know what really happened. I'm ccing listmaster maybe they

>know better.

Ok you are right, I shouldn't have put blame on anybody, I'm sorry for that.
I'm a lot happier right now, that I know what the dpkg developers thik.
So I'm continuing to dig into the package!



Michael

2010/10/26 Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>


Hi,



On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Michael Schmidt wrote:

> I'm new to programming in c and I liked the dpkg package, because I thought

> it was fun to understand how exactly the packages are managed. That is why I

> started looking at the source code. I even found a bug with the configure

> system, and reported it. Now because I'm new to all the autotools stuff I

> posted a mail, with an error that really wasn't one. I'm sorry for that and

> I sent a mail immediately afterwards when I found out explaining my mistake.

> Today I got a mail:

>

> It has been requested that the following address:

>

> * * * michael.schmidt.dangel@gmail.com

>

> should be deleted from the debian-dpkg mailing list.



Be assured that none of the dpkg developers are responsible of this. You

might want to check the full headers of that message to learn more on

who/what tried to unsubscribe you.



Maybe it was a mistake of someone, I don't know. Don't put blame on people

if you don't know what really happened. I'm ccing listmaster maybe they

know better.



> should I stop interesting myself with this package, because I can find an

> other one. I don't know if it is the general opinion of this group of

> developers, that people interested in contributing to the project should all

> be total experts (they once where non experts too). But I would like to know

> if my effort in understanding the code is wanted or if I should search for

> something else. I don't mean to offend anybody, maybe this is not the right

> place for me, if this is the case, tell me in a nice way and I will not

> bother you guys any more.



As far I am concerned, you are welcome to learn and to try contributing to

dpkg.



Cheers,

--

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]



Follow my Debian News ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.com (English)

* * * * * * * * * * *▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)
 
Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Guillem Jover
 
Default I'm sad because you want to throw me out of the list.

Hi!

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 09:34:14 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> > I'm new to programming in c and I liked the dpkg package, because I thought
> > it was fun to understand how exactly the packages are managed. That is why I
> > started looking at the source code. I even found a bug with the configure
> > system, and reported it.

More eyes into the source are awalys welcome.

> > Now because I'm new to all the autotools stuff I
> > posted a mail, with an error that really wasn't one. I'm sorry for that and
> > I sent a mail immediately afterwards when I found out explaining my mistake.

We all do mistakes, don't worry too much about these things.

> > It has been requested that the following address:
> >
> > michael.schmidt.dangel@gmail.com
> >
> > should be deleted from the debian-dpkg mailing list.
>
> Be assured that none of the dpkg developers are responsible of this.

Right.

You might want to consider disabling html emails though, at least I had
to fish most of yours from my spam box.

thanks,
guillem


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-dpkg-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101026162812.GC25298@gaara.hadrons.org">http://lists.debian.org/20101026162812.GC25298@gaara.hadrons.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org