Old 10-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Michael Schmidt

Default Is the configure script suposed to detect libncursesw ?

Hi
I'm new to this package, but I have a question.
Is the configure script provided by the package supposed to check if libncursesw is installed??
Because I tried to compile the deselect part, and in the configure fase it didn't complain. Then when I wnated to make (compile) it stoped with an error, I later found out that the problem was fixed, with installing the libncursesw-dev package. Is this a bug in the make system?

Thankyou for your reply

Old 10-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Michael Schmidt <michael.schmidt.dangel@gmail.com> (22/10/2010):
> Is the configure script provided by the package supposed to check if
> libncursesw is installed?? Because I tried to compile the deselect
> part, and in the configure fase it didn't complain. Then when I
> wnated to make (compile) it stoped with an error, I later found out
> that the problem was fixed, with installing the libncursesw-dev
> package. Is this a bug in the make system?

I'd call it a bug, reproduced with master, removing both
libncurses5-dev and its wide-char variant.

I'll try and see whether I can come up with a fix.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (23/10/2010):
> I'll try and see whether I can come up with a fix.

I think the attached patch does what we want: make having ncurses
mandatory except if one passes --without-dselect.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Michael Schmidt

I'm sorry to bother you again,

but I applied the patch you sent as follows:/dpkg-1.15.8.5$patch -Np1 -i ../0001-B...
then afterwards I removed libncurses5-dev and libncursesw5-dev.
then I ran ./configure

and it didn't complain about the missing ncurses/w library.
then I did make and the same error message was reported.
Maybe there needs to be some changes in the configure.ac that wheren't included by the patch

the pach only changed the m4/dpkg-libs.m4 (only guessing)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Michael Schmidt

Sorry my fault, forgot to runn autoreconf

Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 10:05:26 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (23/10/2010):
> > I'll try and see whether I can come up with a fix.
>
> I think the attached patch does what we want: make having ncurses
> mandatory except if one passes --without-dselect.

Thanks both, queued for my next push.

regards,
guillem

Old 10-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Guillem Jover

Hi!

On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 17:17:27 -0500, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Is the configure script provided by the package supposed to check if
> libncursesw is installed??
> Because I tried to compile the deselect part, and in the configure fase it
> didn't complain. Then when I wnated to make (compile) it stoped with an
> error, I later found out that the problem was fixed, with installing the
> libncursesw-dev package. Is this a bug in the make system?

Just a small note here, which I'm not sure you know already, in any
case, while this was a bug in the upstream build system, if you are
trying to build Debian packages you should install the Build-Depends
(and Build-Depends-Indep in case you build architecture independent
packages). You can use “apt-get build-dep $source_package” for
packages from the archive or use dpkg-checkbuilddeps for package or
releases not yet uploaded to check what build dependencies are still
missing. If you are trying to just build as a normal upstream project
then this would not apply.

regards,
guillem