Old 07-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Harald Dunkel

Default what is /var/lib/dpkg/available good for?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Using a foreign repository my /var/lib/dpkg/available got corrupted.
> The workaround was easy:
>
> echo -n "" >/var/lib/dpkg/available
>
> At the next upgrade time there was no visible slowdown, so I wonder
> what is this file good for?

It's mainly useful for dselect but dpkg still parses it although it
doesn't use it in any important way. There's a bug open about that
already.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)