Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Paul Brook

Default cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:11:16PM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> > It's ARM's architecture and theirs to license, not Marvell's or
> > Qualcomm's.
> >
> > Qualcomm won't be so particularly annoyed as they get a big reference
> > in ARM's manuals (Qualcomm Scorpion is referenced).
> >
> > In the end by far the most common (in terms of chips using it) variant
> > of armv7 is the cortex series. If another manufacturer uses their ARM
> > license to make a new core design that is compatible, good for them.
> > That doesn't stop the official armv7-a/r/m line being Cortex, and for
> > the vast majority of people out there to consistently compare the
> > armv7 designs they make to the capabilities of the "standard" ARM
> > Cortex designs.
>
> Oh I hadn't realized cortex was an ARM name for that particular feature
> set.

It isn't. "Cortex" is the marketing name for the current set of CPU core
implementations designed by ARM ltd. Calling the armv7 port "cortex" is
equivalent to calling the i686 port "pentium" [1].

Paul

[1] Those paying attention will note that not all pentium cores are i686. The
Cortex family includes cores that are not armv7 (Specifically armv6-m).