Old 07-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Default cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:11:16PM -0500, Matt Sealey wrote:
> It's ARM's architecture and theirs to license, not Marvell's or Qualcomm's.
>
> Qualcomm won't be so particularly annoyed as they get a big reference
> in ARM's manuals (Qualcomm Scorpion is referenced).
>
> In the end by far the most common (in terms of chips using it) variant
> of armv7 is the cortex series. If another manufacturer uses their ARM
> license to make a new core design that is compatible, good for them.
> That doesn't stop the official armv7-a/r/m line being Cortex, and for
> the vast majority of people out there to consistently compare the
> armv7 designs they make to the capabilities of the "standard" ARM
> Cortex designs.

Oh I hadn't realized cortex was an ARM name for that particular feature
set. In that case I can see how it makes lots of sense as the name.
I for some stupid reason thought that was a product name of some ARM
licensee.

--
Len Sorensen