Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Paul Brook

Default cortex / arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi (was armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant)

> Genesi have recommended 'cortex' as Debian architecture name and
> 'arm-hardfloat-linux-gnueabi' as triplet. This has been in fact
> approved and endorsed -and actually encouraged- by ARM itself, they
> really liked the idea of having a debian-cortex port.

I suspect the other architecture licensees (Marvell, Qualcomm) might not be so
enthusiastic about this naming...

Paul

Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Konstantinos Margaritis

On Thursday 15 July 2010 00:45:56 Michael Casadevall wrote:
> > I suspect the other architecture licensees (Marvell, Qualcomm) might not
> > be so enthusiastic about this naming...
>
> Seconded. Since this port will work on all ARM SoCs that meet the
> minimal hardware requirements, it should not be named around a
> specific vendor.

First, 'cortex' is not a vendor. it's a cpu family. It's not owned by Marvell
or Qualcomm, but by ARM, if they are OK with us using the name, I don't see
why the other companies would mind, esp. if they don't offer a cpu in that
particular family. Our targets are Cortex A8/A9-class cpus, with at least
vfpv3 and possibly NEON - we'll provide a separate repository with NEON
binaries where that seems appropriate. So, if Marvell/Qualcomm do provide
Cortex A8/A9-type cpus -I don't know really, I'm not following all cpu models
from every company- then I don't see a problem. If not, then the port would
probably not work on those cpus from these companies anyway. Plain 'armel'
could/should be used in that case.

> Something vendor neutral like "armfp",
> "armel_hardfloat", etc. is much more appropriate (although we should
> probably try to make it clear in the vendor name that you need
> specific CPU features to fully support it).

If 'cortex' for some reason becomes unsuitable, the next option is armelvfp -
again to denote that the port is strictly for cpus that do include a vfp (as
Matt said before in this list, armelhf though it sounds really nice, it still
is not clear whether it supports vfp, fpa, etc.).

Regards

Konstantinos Margaritis