Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Guillem Jover

Default Feature request: Reset configuration

On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 14:42:44 +0200, Daniel Bock wrote:
> Am 02.07.2010 13:43, schrieb Guillem Jover:
> > I might have missed something but isn't:
> >
> > $ dpkg --force-confmiss --force-confnew -i foo.deb
> >
> > what you are looking for (given the patch you've sent)?
> >
> > (Regardless of the prospective dpkg-conffile support etc).

> No, it's definitely not.
>
> --force-confmiss --force-confnew
>
> are just for file conflicts, which are not handled automatically.
>
> Edit your
>
> /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>
> and try your command. It won't be replaced.

Ah! Ok, so it seems I missread your mail. Yes, this was already filed
as bug #102609, for which Henning Makholm had provided a really simple
patch, that I've now merged (after little shoehorning into the current
code). It adds a new --force-confask, which can optionally be combined
with either --force-confnew and --force-confmiss:

<http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd0ae9a4>

And the new functional test for it:

<http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/pkg-tests.git;a=commitdiff;h=e980657b>

regards,
guillem

Old 07-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Daniel Bock

[...]

Hi,

No, it can be combined with either --force-confnew and --force-confold.
Sorry for my irritating e-mail.

regards,

Daniel Bock

Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Daniel Bock

[...]

Thank you for merging.

regards,
Daniel Bock

Old 07-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Guillem Jover

On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 08:50:25 +0200, Daniel Bock wrote:
> Am 03.07.2010 08:14, schrieb Guillem Jover:
> >Ah! Ok, so it seems I missread your mail. Yes, this was already filed
> >as bug #102609, for which Henning Makholm had provided a really simple
> >patch, that I've now merged (after little shoehorning into the current
> >code). It adds a new --force-confask, which can optionally be combined
> >with either --force-confnew and --force-confmiss:
> >
> > <http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd0ae9a4>
> >
> >And the new functional test for it:
> >
> > <http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/pkg-tests.git;a=commitdiff;h=e980657b>

> No, it can be combined with either --force-confnew and
> *--force-confold*. Sorry for my irritating e-mail.

Oh, it can be combined with any of the --force-conf* options (confold
and confdef included). Although --force-confold will not be quite useful
generally combined with confask, as it behaves mostly like a no-opt,
which is what would happen (more or less) if confask was not given. The
options most people might use combined with confask will be confmiss and
confnew.

I've clarified the set of allowed options to combine in the man page
(which I guess it's from where you took inspiration for this comment?).

regards,
guillem

Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Daniel Bock

Guillem Jover wrote:

The
options most people might use combined with confask will be confmiss and
confnew.

Exactly.

I've clarified the set of allowed options to combine in the man page

Really? What did you change after the commit[1]?

regards,
Daniel Bock

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commitdiff;h=bd0ae9a4