Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Adeodato Simó

Default featu to add explanations of recommendations and suggestions dependencies

* Shachar Or [Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:36:35 +0300]:

> I am not suggesting this data will be put in with the package's description,

Why not? I think (briefly) explaining some of the most relevant
recommends and suggests is a perfect use of the description space. And
if more verbosity is needed, that information should go into the
README.Debian file in my opinion.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
-- Dijkstra

Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Adeodato Simó

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:57:24PM +0100, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> was heard to say:
> * Shachar Or [Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:36:35 +0300]:
>
> > I am not suggesting this data will be put in with the package's description,
>
> Why not? I think (briefly) explaining some of the most relevant
> recommends and suggests is a perfect use of the description space. And
> if more verbosity is needed, that information should go into the
> README.Debian file in my opinion.

The thing is that the Description field is not machine-parseable.
If aptitude, for instance, knew about the purpose of a Recommends,
it could indicate this to the user at convenient places in the UI
where the Description might not be visible (and without requiring
the user to hunt for the recommendation in the Description).

Daniel

Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Daniel Burrows

Old 08-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 11:03:50PM -0400, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > Le Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 07:02:02PM -0400, Felipe Sateler a écrit :
> >> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >>
> >> Could they be added as XB-Comment:? I use XS-Comment and it appears in the
> >> dsc, I don't know if XB-* appear in the deb or elsewhere.
> >
> > Hi Felipe,
> >
> > The answer is only in the sources for the moment.
>
> A quick test shows that XB-Comment: something shows as Comment: something in the
> deb. However, this doesn't mean that it will show up in apt-cache show. It
> would depend on how the Packages file is created.

A quick test with apt-ftparchive shows that the answer is "yes".

Daniel

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Adeodato Simó

* Daniel Burrows [Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:34:18 -0700]:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 08:57:24PM +0100, Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> was heard to say:
> > * Shachar Or [Sun, 10 Aug 2008 18:36:35 +0300]:

> > > I am not suggesting this data will be put in with the package's description,

> > Why not? I think (briefly) explaining some of the most relevant
> > recommends and suggests is a perfect use of the description space. And
> > if more verbosity is needed, that information should go into the
> > README.Debian file in my opinion.

> The thing is that the Description field is not machine-parseable.
> If aptitude, for instance, knew about the purpose of a Recommends,
> it could indicate this to the user at convenient places in the UI
> where the Description might not be visible (and without requiring
> the user to hunt for the recommendation in the Description).

This is a good point. As long as `apt-cache show` always shows something
reasonably readable...

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a
scientist. This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
-- Matt Cartmill

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Adeodato Simó