Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Russ Allbery

Default dpkg's main repository branch, master, updated. 1.14.20-100-g4174eea

> On Sun, 06 Jul 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:

>> I'm not convinced this would be a great idea to merge po/ directories
>> with the VCS merge facilities.

> If we have conflicts, the merge is a pain and we should use msgmerge to
> merge properly both files.

> But if we have no conflicts (because the po files have not been modified
> since the creation of the branch that we're merging), then the VCS merge
> functionnality is fine...

Not that I have time to write this, but Git does support custom merge
drivers and Christian's merge strategy could, I think, be implemented in
one. Then Git would use msgmerge automatically for conflicts between *.po
files.

gitattributes(5) has the details under "Defining a custom merge driver."
It looks like the only hard part would be finding the *.pot file with
which to msgmerge.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Peter Krefting

Russ Allbery:

> gitattributes(5) has the details under "Defining a custom merge
> driver." It looks like the only hard part would be finding the *.pot
> file with which to msgmerge.

You should be able to run msgmerge against the target .po file, and it
should ignore the translation in it. The .pot file is not strictly
necessary.

--
// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/