Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
"Olaf van der Spek"

Default net-tools maintenance status

On Aug 2, 2005 6:45 PM, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
> It has 88 bugs:
>
> A lot older than a year, 17 with patch a lot even without a single response.

Hi list,

I'm sorry to ask again, but:
What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
Is there any chance Lenny will ship with for example working IPv6
support in netstat?
I emailed MIA about this, but MIA went MIA itself, no response anymore.

The bug count is up to 112.
Only two NMU translation uploads have been done in the past two years.
No other uploads at all.

Please CC me, I'm not subscribed.

Greetings,

Olaf

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=net-tools
http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/net-tools.html

Old 12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Guus Sliepen

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:24:58PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> I'm sorry to ask again, but:
> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?
> Is there any chance Lenny will ship with for example working IPv6
> support in netstat?
> I emailed MIA about this, but MIA went MIA itself, no response anymore.
>
> The bug count is up to 112.
> Only two NMU translation uploads have been done in the past two years.
> No other uploads at all.

Hm, looks bad indeed. I'll try to see if Bernd Eckenfels is still alive
but if I can't reach him in a week I'll adopt the package.

Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>

Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Roger Leigh

"Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm sorry to ask again, but:
> What's the maintenance status of the net-tools package?

Looking at the changelog in unstable, pretty much the same as last
time you wrote, aside from the two minor NMUs you mentioned.

> Is there any chance Lenny will ship with for example working IPv6
> support in netstat?
> I emailed MIA about this, but MIA went MIA itself, no response anymore.
>
> The bug count is up to 112.
> Only two NMU translation uploads have been done in the past two years.
> No other uploads at all.

Maybe time for a hijack of the package, or at least an NMU to get the
bugs fixed.

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
"Olaf van der Spek"

On Dec 1, 2007 1:48 PM, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> "Olaf van der Spek" <olafvdspek@gmail.com> writes:
> > The bug count is up to 112.
> > Only two NMU translation uploads have been done in the past two years.
> > No other uploads at all.
>
> Maybe time for a hijack of the package, or at least an NMU to get the
> bugs fixed.

I'm not a DD, so I can't really do that myself. I'm willing to help on
the C coding though.

Olaf

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
"Olaf van der Spek"

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
"Olaf van der Spek"

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
"Olaf van der Spek"

Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Bernd Eckenfels

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:52:41PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> Hm, looks bad indeed. I'll try to see if Bernd Eckenfels is still alive
> but if I can't reach him in a week I'll adopt the package.

Sure I am alive.

Greetings
Bernd

Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM
"Olaf van der Spek"

On Dec 1, 2007 5:53 PM, Bernd Eckenfels <be-mail2007@lina.inka.de> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:52:41PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> > Hm, looks bad indeed. I'll try to see if Bernd Eckenfels is still alive
> > but if I can't reach him in a week I'll adopt the package.
>
> Sure I am alive.

That's very nice to hear. May I ask what your plans with the net-tools
package are?

Olaf

Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Roger Leigh

Bernd Eckenfels <be-mail2007@lina.inka.de> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 12:52:41PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
>> Hm, looks bad indeed. I'll try to see if Bernd Eckenfels is still alive
>> but if I can't reach him in a week I'll adopt the package.
>
> Sure I am alive.

And... active?

Would you care to share your plans for net-tools for the next month,
for Lenny, and beyond?

Would you be willing to let guus and Olaf co-maintain the package, or
take it over completely?

There are quite a lot of issues with net-tools, and this is not the
first time Olaf has asked you what is happening. Please could you
show the simple courtesy of actually addressing his concerns, rather
than ignoring them, which is pretty rude. You have not made an upload
in nearly two years. People clearly have problems with it, and it
would be great to know what you are intending to do to rectify them.

IMO guus and Olaf would be completely justified in hijacking it and
co-maintaining it themselves (and for the record, I would be willing
to review and sponsor uploads if needed).

Regards,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh