Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 AM
"Martín Ferrari"

Default Proposing a new source control header to link to upstream BTSs

In March, I proposed adding some useful (to me) fields to the control
file, along this idea:

Upstream-Bug-Browser: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=WWW-Curl
Upstream-Bug-Submitter: http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Report.html?Queue=WWW-Curl

Which were furiously rejected by many people, in the usual and
friendly tone commonly seen in -devel.

> Do that please but keep your fingers off the Packages files. The value
> of your meta information is not worth the costs of its distribution to
> every user's local system.

But just now I saw this in the dpkg changelog:

dpkg (1.7.0) unstable; urgency=low
{..}
* Add Origin and Bugs fields to the control file
{..}
-- Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org> Sun, 5 Nov 2000 17:28:39 +0100

Those were documented (or so) in deb-control(5) only last October, so
it's no wonder nobody replied telling me that the idea I had was
already implemented more than 7 years ago! Currently, there are about
two source packages in the archive using these fields.

There's no mention that I could find of those fields in the Debian
Policy nor in the Dev Ref. I guess that reading dpkg source code
should be added as a requirement to the NM templates.

--
Martín Ferrari