Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 AM
"Vincent W. Chen"

Default Out of Date Package and Maintainer Absence

Hi,

My questions involve bug #684395 and the FVWM package. Though the bug
is only severity: wishlist, I do hope to see newer version make it to
Wheezy, seeing as how the last NMU was on 2012 May 5 and the last
update by maintainer Manoj was on 2010 Jun 8. As indicated in the bug
report, the current version in Debian is outdated and no longer
maintained by upstream. I have contacted Manoj and his reply was
included in the bug report, but no update has been received from him
since, which was over a month ago.

I am willing to co-maintain the package with Manoj, or even maintain
it by myself if he's no longer interested in dealing with it. But
since there has been no reply from him I now turn to the list: any
suggestion on what I should do now, or what I should have done?

As I stated before, I am not trying to hijack his package. As a user
of FVWM I just want to see it updated and some bugs closed. I'm just
willing to pick up where he left off and learn the ropes if Manoj
don't want to take care of the package anymore.

Regards,
Vincent

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Jon Dowland

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:27:22PM -0700, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
> I am willing to co-maintain the package with Manoj, or even maintain
> it by myself if he's no longer interested in dealing with it. But
> since there has been no reply from him I now turn to the list: any
> suggestion on what I should do now, or what I should have done?

You should start preparing a newer version of the package, making as few
changes to the packaging decisions made by Manoj (e.g. stick with pre-dh
debhelper if that's what he's using; don't introduce cdbs or other packaging
helper tools if they aren't already in use; stick to the VCS he's using, etc.)
and putting your WIP somewhere public, both as a repo that can be cloned and
attach a patch to the bug. Tag the bug 'patch', too. That way, we are talking
in concrete, not abstract terms. Debian is a 'do-ocracy'.

As for getting it into wheezy: I don't think odds are particularly high, but
the release team will need to see a newer version of the package in order to
decide whether to grant a freeze exception or not.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:54 AM
Arno Töll

Hi,

On 04.10.2012 08:53, Jon Dowland wrote:
> As for getting it into wheezy: I don't think odds are particularly high, but
> the release team will need to see a newer version of the package in order to
> decide whether to grant a freeze exception or not.

It is very unlikely they would unblock a package with major changes such
as a new upstream version. Not to say Vincent should not work on it, but
it won't be in time for Wheezy.

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll

Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 09:54:05AM +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> It is very unlikely they would unblock a package with major changes such
> as a new upstream version. Not to say Vincent should not work on it, but
> it won't be in time for Wheezy.

Yes, agreed. There is the small-print reason that the existing version is
long unsupported by upstream, but it would be the release team's call, and
I agree that it is vanishingly unlikely. The work is worthwhile either way.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
"Vincent W. Chen"

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Jon Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 10:27:22PM -0700, Vincent W. Chen wrote:
>> I am willing to co-maintain the package with Manoj, or even maintain
>> it by myself if he's no longer interested in dealing with it. But
>> since there has been no reply from him I now turn to the list: any
>> suggestion on what I should do now, or what I should have done?
>
> You should start preparing a newer version of the package, making as few
> changes to the packaging decisions made by Manoj (e.g. stick with pre-dh
> debhelper if that's what he's using; don't introduce cdbs or other packaging
> helper tools if they aren't already in use; stick to the VCS he's using, etc.)
> and putting your WIP somewhere public, both as a repo that can be cloned and
> attach a patch to the bug. Tag the bug 'patch', too. That way, we are talking
> in concrete, not abstract terms. Debian is a 'do-ocracy'.

I had already prepared a package at
https://mentors.debian.net/package/fvwm, though there were more
changes than what you described. Manoj was using hand crafted
makefiles, while I changed it to dh. I'll try to cut down the number
of changes and remember to tag the bug 'patch'. Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Vincent Chen