Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/)
-   -   Bug#689293: dia menu entry should use /usr/bin/dia not /usr/bin/dia-normal (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/709279-bug-689293-dia-menu-entry-should-use-usr-bin-dia-not-usr-bin-dia-normal.html)

Roland Stigge 10-03-2012 10:38 AM

Bug#689293: dia menu entry should use /usr/bin/dia not /usr/bin/dia-normal
 
Hi!

Thanks you for your report!

On 01/10/12 10:30, Andre Naujoks wrote:
> The installation of dia should add a menu entry to start dia with the
> link in /usr/bin/dia, so the choice of the alternatives system is taken
> into account.
>
> Currently /usr/bin/dia-normal is used, which bypasses the alternatives
> system.

Interesting question. Currently, dia just installs menu files for
dia(-normal) and dia-gnome each, which will both appear in the menu, if
available.

Now I wonder if menu entries should follow alternative system choices or
not. Is there a policy about that or some common practice in other packages?

Roland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 506C1591.4020204@antcom.de">http://lists.debian.org/506C1591.4020204@antcom.de

Andre Naujoks 10-04-2012 07:07 AM

Bug#689293: dia menu entry should use /usr/bin/dia not /usr/bin/dia-normal
 
On 03.10.2012 12:38, schrieb Roland Stigge:
> Hi!
>
> Thanks you for your report!
>
> On 01/10/12 10:30, Andre Naujoks wrote:
>> The installation of dia should add a menu entry to start dia with the
>> link in /usr/bin/dia, so the choice of the alternatives system is taken
>> into account.
>>
>> Currently /usr/bin/dia-normal is used, which bypasses the alternatives
>> system.
>
> Interesting question. Currently, dia just installs menu files for
> dia(-normal) and dia-gnome each, which will both appear in the menu, if
> available.
>
> Now I wonder if menu entries should follow alternative system choices or
> not. Is there a policy about that or some common practice in other packages?

Now that you mention it, I think I don't know any other package that
uses the alternatives system the way dia does. The choice is basically a
command line parameter.

But I think dia should start in the same configuration regardless of
where it is started from, be it a menu or the command line.

Andre

>
> Roland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 506D35B7.6020905@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/506D35B7.6020905@gmail.com

Roland Stigge 10-04-2012 07:57 AM

Bug#689293: dia menu entry should use /usr/bin/dia not /usr/bin/dia-normal
 
Hi!

On 10/04/2012 09:07 AM, Andre Naujoks wrote:
>> On 01/10/12 10:30, Andre Naujoks wrote:
>>> The installation of dia should add a menu entry to start dia with the
>>> link in /usr/bin/dia, so the choice of the alternatives system is taken
>>> into account.
>>>
>>> Currently /usr/bin/dia-normal is used, which bypasses the alternatives
>>> system.
>>
>> Interesting question. Currently, dia just installs menu files for
>> dia(-normal) and dia-gnome each, which will both appear in the menu, if
>> available.
>>
>> Now I wonder if menu entries should follow alternative system choices or
>> not. Is there a policy about that or some common practice in other packages?
>
> Now that you mention it, I think I don't know any other package that
> uses the alternatives system the way dia does. The choice is basically a
> command line parameter.
>
> But I think dia should start in the same configuration regardless of
> where it is started from, be it a menu or the command line.

Now I understand what you mean :-) : Dia actually has 4 alternatives
entries: dia-normal and dia-gnome, with an "-integrated" variant each,
to provide the "integrated window" view as default.

The upstream default ("without command line option") is non-integrated,
and on the Debian desktop, --integrated would be best.

For consolidation, we can consider doing only the integrated variant, at
least for the menus.

Still, we have dia-normal and dia-gnome. Does your report apply to this
as well? My question about other packages referred to possible examples
of menu entries interacting with alternatives config.

Roland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 506D4173.4090603@antcom.de">http://lists.debian.org/506D4173.4090603@antcom.de

Andre Naujoks 10-04-2012 08:21 AM

Bug#689293: dia menu entry should use /usr/bin/dia not /usr/bin/dia-normal
 
On 04.10.2012 09:57, schrieb Roland Stigge:
> Hi!
>
> On 10/04/2012 09:07 AM, Andre Naujoks wrote:
>>> On 01/10/12 10:30, Andre Naujoks wrote:
>>>> The installation of dia should add a menu entry to start dia with the
>>>> link in /usr/bin/dia, so the choice of the alternatives system is taken
>>>> into account.
>>>>
>>>> Currently /usr/bin/dia-normal is used, which bypasses the alternatives
>>>> system.
>>>
>>> Interesting question. Currently, dia just installs menu files for
>>> dia(-normal) and dia-gnome each, which will both appear in the menu, if
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Now I wonder if menu entries should follow alternative system choices or
>>> not. Is there a policy about that or some common practice in other packages?
>>
>> Now that you mention it, I think I don't know any other package that
>> uses the alternatives system the way dia does. The choice is basically a
>> command line parameter.
>>
>> But I think dia should start in the same configuration regardless of
>> where it is started from, be it a menu or the command line.
>
> Now I understand what you mean :-) : Dia actually has 4 alternatives
> entries: dia-normal and dia-gnome, with an "-integrated" variant each,
> to provide the "integrated window" view as default.
>
> The upstream default ("without command line option") is non-integrated,
> and on the Debian desktop, --integrated would be best.
>
> For consolidation, we can consider doing only the integrated variant, at
> least for the menus.

That would mean the problem is just switched around. If I choose to
change what my dia points to (via update-alternatives) I'd expect this
change to be used when I start dia via a menu.

I think it would be best to remove the alternatives to the non
integrated forms and use the alternative chosen to launch dia from a
menu. This way dia is consistently used in its integrated form and only
if you really want to, you can start dia-normal.

>
> Still, we have dia-normal and dia-gnome. Does your report apply to this
> as well? My question about other packages referred to possible examples
> of menu entries interacting with alternatives config.

I don't know of any, but I don't really know that many packages in depth.

dia-gnome should be one alternative in the alternatives group.

Andre

>
> Roland


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 506D4726.5030600@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/506D4726.5030600@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.