-   -   Comments+blank line in debian/control: Clarification in policy or MBF? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/708766-comments-blank-line-debian-control-clarification-policy-mbf.html)

Ian Jackson 10-01-2012 01:43 PM

Michael Tautschnig writes ("Comments+blank line in debian/control: Clarification in policy or MBF?"):
> Taking a pragmatic position, it would be best to have policy acknowledge the
> fact that empty paragraphs don't count, and get the parser in pbuilder fixed.

This wouldn't help people doing backports or whatever. I think this
should be fixed in the packages involved.

If we want to relax the spec we should do that as a separate exercise.

Ian.

Josselin Mouette 10-01-2012 06:17 PM

Le lundi 01 octobre 2012 à 14:43 +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> This wouldn't help people doing backports or whatever. I think this
> should be fixed in the packages involved.

Changing gnome-pkg-tools to replace the blank line with an empty comment
is trivial. In unstable.

How does that help with backports?

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Michael Tautschnig 10-01-2012 09:01 PM

Comments+blank line in debian/control: Clarification in policy or MBF?

> Le lundi 01 octobre 2012 à 14:43 +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> > This wouldn't help people doing backports or whatever. I think this
> > should be fixed in the packages involved.
>
> Changing gnome-pkg-tools to replace the blank line with an empty comment
> is trivial. In unstable.
>
> How does that help with backports?

If gnome-pkg-tools were backported, any further backport build-depending on
gnome-pkg-tools would get fixed.

I think it is fair to say that this is a policy violation, but it clearly isn't
a *serious* policy violation, given its limited practical effect. I would ask
GNOME maintainers to get this fixed and uploaded, ideally also into t-p-u.

I'm going to file bugs against those packages not build-depending on
gnome-pkg-tools, but still containing comment+blank line at the start of
debian/control.

For all those packages build-depending on gnome-pkg-tools, I could then liaise
with the GNOME team to determine the best way forward.

Best,
Michael