Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Jonathan McDowell

Default Debian not suitable for SSD due to apt/dpkg?

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 03:37:19PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Montag, 1. Oktober 2012, Michael Hanke wrote:
> > Just a data point:
>
> interesting, thanks.
>
> what are the main (ssd related) advantages of running a 3.2 kernel
> instead of the 2.6.32 from squeeze? (I don't want to run 3.2 due to
> wlan/intel gfx problems, though last time I tried was three months
> ago, might been fixed by now.)

For one thing our 2.6.32 kernel doesn't have full discard/trim support
available, but the 3.2 kernel does.

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | I can only see one nipple.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Vincent Bernat

❦ 1 octobre 2012 18:26 CEST, Jonathan McDowell <noodles@earth.li>*:

>> what are the main (ssd related) advantages of running a 3.2 kernel
>> instead of the 2.6.32 from squeeze? (I don't want to run 3.2 due to
>> wlan/intel gfx problems, though last time I tried was three months
>> ago, might been fixed by now.)
>
> For one thing our 2.6.32 kernel doesn't have full discard/trim support
> available, but the 3.2 kernel does.

In case of ext4 over encrypted LVM, does the kernel have all the
discard/trim support? The Debian wiki says that LVM supports trim to
declare unused space with lvresize as an example. Does it include unused
space inside a logical volume?
--
Use variable names that mean something.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM

Frank> Hi, I am considering migrating my Debian testing system to a
Frank> SSD to speed things up. Since SSD lifetime is severely
Frank> limited (about 5000 overwrites for consumer grade MLC), I
Frank> wanted to know beforehand, how much writes does my system
Frank> generate.

Hi Frank,

Here is a data point for you.

I've been using a relatively inexpensive SSD (120G OCZ VERTEX-2) and I
have run Debian testing on this device for around 18 months now.

The machine in question is powered on 24 hours a day, every day of the
year but for a truly warm summer weekend or two (which are very
infrequent in Northern California). The machine is now six years old,
the SSD and additional RAM being the latest and only modification to
it. I use LVM like I would use it on a HDD based system, but I do not do
disk encryption.

I upgrade this machine to the latest packages in testing every working
day based on what apt-cron downloads overnight. I have performed no SSD
optimizations (e.g. no discard/TRIM settings for the ext4 file system,
don't do the no noatime thing). The file system hosts several large code
bases that see heavy edit/compile usage on a daily basis.

I have seen absolutely no performance degradation on my system for
typical use (edit/compile code), and no trouble from the SSD in my
logs. I would say that Debian testing is perfectly suitable for an SSD
based on my experience.

You can make the math suggest that this SSD should have died a while
ago, or you can make it suggest the SSD will last a decade. I've got 18
months of real usage out of it, and I expect a few more years to be
honest.

OK, now that I've said it, I'm waiting for the meltdown... ;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal

Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Tollef Fog Heen

]] Vincent Bernat

> In case of ext4 over encrypted LVM, does the kernel have all the
> discard/trim support? The Debian wiki says that LVM supports trim to
> declare unused space with lvresize as an example. Does it include unused
> space inside a logical volume?

Yes, but you need to enable it explicitly on all levels.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Christian PERRIER

Quoting Michael Hanke (mih@debian.org):

> I'm on an Intel SSD (120GB) since Aug 2009 -- running Debian testing all
> the time. I do not upgrade daily, but often. I have _not_ done any of
> the optimizations mentioned on the wiki. I have on average approx 15GB
> free on the drive. Obviously, I ran a kernel <3.2 for most of the time.
> I do lots of compiling on this SSD.

Exact same situation here, with a 64GB hard drive (often with a small
amount of free space). And I update daily. And I don't use "noatime".