Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Ivan Shmakov

Default Processor microcode update packages

>> <head>

>> </head>

[…]

> 1. No html, please.

And, especially, no /invalid/ HTML, please.

[…]

--
judicious use of XML applications at the Internet at large.</p>

Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Eric Valette

On 29/09/2012 03:46, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

1. No html, please.

non-initrd is supported. Read the package documentation for the details.

I did. I do not want to compile microcode tool as a module because
module loading juts slows down the boot process and contrarilly to many
other package requiring firmware, this one does not enable to load
firmware when not compiled as a module.

So it does not work for people compiling their own kernel and not using
modules (when you tailor your kernel for a given machine, modules are
just slowing the boot process and do not bring anything).

-- eric

Old 09-29-2012, 10:32 AM

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 29/09/2012 03:46, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >1. No html, please.
> >
> >non-initrd is supported. Read the package documentation for the details.
>
> I did. I do not want to compile microcode tool as a module because

Currently using microcode as a module is indeed the best choice, as it
covers all reasonably common user cases and works right for all supported
Linux kernel versions.

If you want to use non-modular, built-in microcode, the documentation of
iucode-tool does explain how to trigger the microcode reload after boot. You
will have to add it to your system yourself.

Feel free to write a new initscript and propose it as a wishlist bug to be
added to /usr/share/doc/.../examples. If you do, I will add it at the next
upload.

> So it does not work for people compiling their own kernel and not
> using modules (when you tailor your kernel for a given machine,
> modules are just slowing the boot process and do not bring
> anything).

It does not work out-of-the-box. Which is fine as far as I am concerned,
you did not get a custom kernel without initramfs support out-of-the-box
either. And that happens to be the _only_ setup which is not supported
out-of-the-box.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Eric Valette

If you want to use non-modular, built-in microcode, the documentation of
iucode-tool does explain how to trigger the microcode reload after boot. You
will have to add it to your system yourself.

Fair enough. Already done. However, during the stable->wheezy migration,
all users building their own kernel may be affected as microcode.ctl
package did had an initscript...

--eric

Old 09-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Eric Valette wrote:
> On 29/09/2012 12:32, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >If you want to use non-modular, built-in microcode, the documentation of
> >iucode-tool does explain how to trigger the microcode reload after boot. You
> >will have to add it to your system yourself.
>
> Fair enough. Already done. However, during the stable->wheezy
> migration, all users building their own kernel may be affected as
> microcode.ctl package did had an initscript...

And it was properly documented on NEWS.Debian. I expect that, out of the
1400 or so users of Squeeze intel-microcode/microcode.ctl, no more than 1%
have custom, no-initramfs kernels with microcode built-in instead of as a
module.

If you want an initscript, you're welcome to write one and submit it as a
patch. I will add it as an example to the package, so that others can
easily use it if they want. For this class of user, it will be irrelevant
soon enough when a proper way to load microcode updates during initial
processor setup lands on v3.7, and we switch to initramfs-piggyback-cpio-
assisted microcode updates.

Henrique Holschuh