Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Mathieu Malaterre

Default Conflict usr/bin/ninja vs usr/sbin/ninja ?

Hi,

I just sponsored the ninja-build package. I realize now that I may
have missed one point: does it need to conflict with package ninja ?
ninja-build will provide usr/bin/ninja, while ninja provides
usr/sbin/ninja.

The policy requires a Conflicts only when two packages provide the
same file [1]. It is implicitly assumed that file means full path to
file IMHO. However for filename in PATH, this might be an issue.

Comments ?

Thanks
-M
[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Arno Töll

Hi,

You may want to read <20120712185928.GY1191@teltox.donarmstrong.com> [1]
and <20120806133711.GA2905@jwilk.net> [2]

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/07/msg00002.html
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/08/msg00101.html

--
with kind regards,
Arno Töll

Old 09-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Adam Borowski

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:41:05AM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> I just sponsored the ninja-build package. I realize now that I may
> have missed one point: does it need to conflict with package ninja ?
> ninja-build will provide usr/bin/ninja, while ninja provides
> usr/sbin/ninja.
>
> The policy requires a Conflicts only when two packages provide the
> same file [1]. It is implicitly assumed that file means full path to
> file IMHO. However for filename in PATH, this might be an issue.

While, as Arno mentioned, you are not allowed to use that name, this is
a case where it would be good to ask the maintainer of "ninja" the root
process logger to migrate his executable to something else.

As a "make" replacement, "ninja"[-build] is something one runs from the
command line tens or hundreds of times a day. The other ninja is a daemon
that's never run interactively, and its executable is referenced only from
an init script.

One such case in the past was "git" vs "gnuit" -- and there, the other tool
is something interactive, with 1367 popcon score. "ninja" has mere 39
installs.

--
Copyright and patents were never about promoting culture and innovations;
from the very start they were legalized bribes to give the king some income